WrongWay

Question for any pro freefly coaches....

When you do a coach dive, is it productive or counterproductive for your own flying?

Does it depend on the student, or is everything productive?

Just curious. B|

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

Not a pro, but I coach lots of newbies.

I would say it's productive to a point. Flying with somebody who is just learning to get vertical really challenges your ability to fly at all speeds, drive hard, park close, etc. The other thing is, unless you are totally relying on video for the debrief, you have to be actively watchig the student, making mental notes. It forces you to stop thinking about your own flying, and things become second nature.

But like I said - to a point. Coaching newbies isn't helping me learn how to do back to back eagles!!

Canuck

i feel that coaching is never counter-productive to my flying.

we get such a little amount of airtime. I mean, let's say some one has 12,000 jumps, that is only 200 hours of airtime. (really less, that is if i average airtime at a minute a pop)

200 hours of 'hand-on practice' is very little compared to other things we do in life. If i practice guitar everyday for an hour a day for 200 days, that is 200 hours. Will that make me a good guitar player?
if i practice basketball everyday for an hour for 200 days, will i make it into the NBA? (even if i was 6 foot 8, i doubt it)

i am lucky if i make over a 1000 jumps in a year, which is something like 13 hours.

if i only get 13 hours of practice a year, i will find a way to learn to be a better flyer with every second.

Of course, if i want to practice back to back eagles, the best way is to practice back to back eagles ;). and probably i cannot do that with most students.

My personal goals for becoming a 'better flyer' when i fly are communicating, thinking, teaching, pleasure, safety, safety, safety, self-expression, etc..

this is in addition to practicing 'technical' things.

so, yes, i find every coach jump i conduct makes me a better flyer.

be safe
max

Yup, I agree with everything you said. I definately didn't mean to imply that any jump is ever counter productive if that's how it came across, just that some are more productive than others.

On a side note, some of the best coaching I have ever had was thanks to you. You have a very intelligent way of explaining things that goes much further than "Cool jump dude, wanna smoke one and go again?" :S

Oh yeah, you could practice back to back eagles with a student, but the video would be crappy!! :P

Canuck