FFlyer

Getting into a sit quicker

Hi everyone,

First of all, i've been reading these forums for a couple years but have never posted,...so hello. ;)

Well, my problem is that I usually take a while to get into a good sit (and ready to do stuff). Its just a matter of a couple seconds but thats valuable working time thats getting lost on every jump. We use a Pilatus Porter at my DZ.

When I exit the plane with my back to the prop I usually end up with my knees up at my chest in quite a tight ball, with my arms out. Im usually stable on exit, except that it takes a while to then push my legs down and 'sit up' into a more upright position.

Ive seen various video's where people exit and they are immediatly in the sit postion that they normally fly with. I cant seem to exit any other way than in a tight ball (with arms out) and then push up into a sit/stand once ive gone down the slide. Since I am quite light I usually try to fly in more of a stand or I cant keep up with people.

Ive hear that leaning forward helps since the relative wind coming from behind is what pushes you more onto your back while going down the slide. Also,...i haven't done many sit exits while facing the prop, is that quite different? Would you then essentially do the opposite and lean backwards as you exit to stay upright?

Any advice here would be great.
Cheers, Brendon

Basically, your goal is to exit in such a way that the relative wind will be hitting your body the same as it will be hitting it after you're down the slide (or the hill, as Americans seem to call it). This means you want the wind on exit to hit your ass, not your back. So if you're exiting facing the tail, you shouldn't actually face the tail but the ground. You can still tuck into a ball and stretch out your arms, but if you were to jump in this position from the plane on the ground, you shouldn't land on your ass but on your knees. Facing the front, you still want the wind to hit your ass, so you lean back.
I think there was a discussion not so long ago, I'll see if I can find the thread for you...
[edit : Right, here it is. Those FF TOTD were really useful...

BTW, hello and welcome! :)

Well here's a pic out of an otter (my solo porter back-facing exits are almost exactly the same though) I really don't think it matters much... anyway...

I have a series of pics that get me from the exit through the hill and the position remains much the same, the only niticeable change is as I bring my elbows down to / below shoulder height towards the bottom of the hill.

You might notice that my total body postion is consistent and in orientation to the prop blast. But if you look at the pic with your head slightly tilted to the left you can see flat feet, calves, knees, thighs torso at nearly 90' angles...I even use my hands in a subtle way right out the door. No balling up... Point is, exit it like you want to jump it, and keep your chin up.

You can out go out facing the prop, sideways, inverted sit and still get to this position like you said "in a couple of seconds" ...but you want to be there out the door.

This is like the text-book exit position for the most part. It really is not difficult. exit like you want to jump it, your body will figure out the feel with practice if you remember to breathe and relax.

--
I'm done with the personally meaningful and philosophical sigs!!

your body will figure out the feel with practice

That's the key. Well, that and remembering no matter what your orientation is to the earth, you have to remember where the relative wind is and fly that. Who gives a shit about the earth, its the wind you have to worry about.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Thanks for the advice. It seems that its all mostly to do with the relative wind and trying to fly your body depending on where that wind is.

My main problem is, as i said, pushing my legs down. But if I change my body and therefore where the wind hits me, hopefully it wont be such an effort to get my legs extended.

edit: Should there be much difference my exit position if its a solo or a 2way? Its been said that on a 2 way exit we are often fighting for the same air and that affects the exit. This makes sense to me and ive often felt it harder to keep stable and on heading when im doing a 2way exit as opposed to a solo. ??
Cheers, B

If you're having a problem pushing your legs down, you may be curling your upper body forward, attempting to "sit up" - trying to pull yourself up. Try actually arching just a bit, so your upper back catches air, and pushes you upright.

Or you may have too much bag in your suit, on the legs, which can make pushing your legs down difficult.

Maybe try digging your heels into the air.. don't push down with your toes.

I think you're just going to have to try muscleing your exits to get it right.

Is their something like a 182 you can jump? something that can go reallllly slow when you exit? Maybe doing that would help some since when you just hop off a 182 the relative wind is almost immediately coming straight up from the ground..

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

For nice two way sit exits, we usually exit both facing the tail of the plane. I've found that if everyone presents correctly to the relative wind, no one fights for working air. I've been really really close on exits and been fine. It seems when people face each other on sit exits, the timing and presentation difficulty increase dramatically.

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --