sunnydee123

Still Striving for Headdown...

Uh-huh...we can't forget about the Mrs. and Mr's :).......

It seems we are post-whoring my little thread here and getting off on a tangent. We'll see what kind of good stuff I can add after my weekend of jumping. Off tomorrow and plan on jumping like a mad woman..........But making the most of each and every jump of course.

Dreams become reality, one choice at a time...

You can also try stuff like clapping your hands, fats and also in a very slow-motion manner. Even leave them together in front of you for a second or two. Try turning your palms up and relaxing your wrists. Any change with your arms and hands like this will help you to become omre aware of your legs and also force you to fly with your hips and legs. You would be surprised what a simple thing like turning your palms up will do to change things. I fly with palms up all the time because it is a more relaxed position.

Not to hijack your thread here sunnydee, but I gotta ask.

ccowden, yo. I have only been head down three times stable at this point. I have only one FF coach jump for head down flying. I would say I've got a good physical and mental grasp on barrel rolls and remaining stable in a head down position. I've never thought about turning my palms upward at all, heard it mentioned before though.

Here's my Q. Do you think in by turning your palms upward it would have more of an effect on your flying as far as just being relaxed? Or is it an actual aerodynamic change whereby air affects your hips and legs differently, becoming more efficient for head down flying?

I imagine it would be yes to both, curious though. Thanks dood. :)
----------
Here's to cheating, stealing, fighting, and drinking. If you cheat, cheat death. If you steal, steal a woman's heart. If you fight, fight for a brother. If you drink, drink with me.

Hey man!

Well, it is more because of the relaxing part than anything, but what turning your palms up does is take away the natural tendency to use your hands as too much of a control surface when you're learning. After you get comfortable flying this way, then it becomes more of a relaxing effect and natural posittion then you might think.

When your palms are down and against the wind, people tend to reall want to 'feel' the air and counter steer too much with their arms and hands to compinsate for not flying enough with their lower bodies in their hips and legs. It is just so natural to want to 'catch' yourself with your hands. I have seen peole who have become quite stable head down and when they turn their palms up they flip right out of head down or get terribly unstable. You would be surprised. They don't realize how much they were 'holding themselves in a stable position with their arms and hands until they change it. I remember when I first learned and turned my palms up! Wasn't good! But you adapt quickly and compenstae for the change by flying your lower body more, and that's the point.

I personally don't feel that it is ever too soon to start trying to fly this way. After you get the hang of it, you may want to turn your palms back over. To some peole it is still more natural that way and one isn't better than the other, just a learning tool. Alot of great flyers don't turn their palms up on a normal basis, but believe me, they can fly that way!

You can also try the other exercises like I mention above. Clapping your hands, etc.

Hope this answers your question.

Well despite some KICKIN' winds this weekend I got my happy butt up and jumped....and since it seems my two-ways were not helping me (making same mistakes over and over :(), seemed a good time to try some solos and just figure it out. First jump....not so great but did lots of cartwheels. 2nd jump I opted to try front flips and HOLY SHIT - I was on my head - kinda sorta I think. I can tell ya it probably was not pretty and FOR SURE, not stable but I had the whole legs going from front to back so I know I am no longer getting on my back. My legs were above my head without a doubt. I was keeping my hands to my sides so not to "grab the air" and really think about the wind on my legs and I DID...I DID! I got off that jumped and did my fastest pack job ever and went right the hell back up to do it again. I don't try and hold it.......hold it a few seconds then go back to sit and do it again. I try and transition about 5 - 7 times while keeping a close eye on my altitude and headings. It's a step in the right direction.....and I am super happy. FINALLY!

Thanks for all the tips gang.....just have to keep doing this then I might want to bring my "coach" back up with me to SEE what's up. I'll keep ya posted - if you want to hear or not.....It is just a good "vent" for me when I was getting frustrated and then finally feel it - have to share! ;)

Dreams become reality, one choice at a time...

I'm gonna link in my previous response to learning headdown.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=675314;#675314

And I'll ask - how many of you out there that are having difficulty learning headdown have tried this exercise? It only takes but a day (8 jumps) - and it is very helpful. Perhaps giving you some background (ok, trying not to brag...):

Jump #37 I was on my head for the whole dive. I have coach jumps on video with Mike Vail of me flying on my head (yes, straight down and stable) at 70 jumps - practicing putting a single or both hands out in front. Jump 120 taking headdown docks. Just trying to add a little support to my claims on the exercise. They really, really help - and are easy to do...