alanab

how do you.....

i'm new to the sport and new to ff. one thing i still can't grasp the concept of is how not to "cork" or whatever its called. not only that, but also, i dont understand how to finish off a ff jump without doing this. how are you supposed to go from any ff position into a track without going belly down? please help the newbie ff girl...

You don't want to cork during the FF but obviously the dive has to come to an end eventually. Corking during the dive while everyone is falling at a higher rate of speed is dangerous. You should pre-plan out your breakoff altitude that way everyone tracks off (in different directions) at the same time.

If you are in the middle of the FF and you feel unstable and about to cork you should stay small (ball up in the fetal position) so that your fall rate with the others on the dive stays the same. Stay small and try to get into either a stable sit, stand or head down position. The last thing you want to do is get big and arch, this will decelerate you from the 150-160 mph range down to the low 100's. Not good especially if someone happens to be right above you.
Every skydiving student is trained to ARCH when they feel they are losing control of their skydive. But during a freefly, arching is a bad word.

I suggest you practic not corking, balling up and recovering to a sit, stand or head down on a few solo jumps before getting in a group.:)
Kerry

Imagine you're in a two way, you're sit flying your partner is head down on top of you, trying to make a double monkey you lose position and now you're on your back, and slow down from 165mph to 150 mph your partner still going at 165 mph head down, towards you. Now multiply 165mph times your partner weight that how much impact you're gonna take. Don't cork, if so, keep youreself small to keep speed, have a cypress.:)
http://web.mac.com/ac057a/iWeb/AC057A/H0M3.html

First of all - HOLY CRAP, I used to live in Westerville, Ohio. My grandfather lives there. (Sorry, it's just bizarre!) :)
Second, these are great questions you're asking. I would strongly urge you to talk to a freefly coach in person so that your questions can be answered in full and complete detail.

Corking can kill you. Or dismember you, or paralyze you.

It's OK to ask questions here - there are many good freeflyers who give good advice. But when it comes to actual practice - please talk to a coach in person. :)
Sorry to sound dramatic, just something to keep in mind. :P

Edited to add: You will cork when learning to freefly - therefore, you should stick to solos or 2-ways with someone ( a coach, for example ;)) much more experienced than you so they can get the hell out of the way quickly. Also, you do not have to cork at break off - this is where some face to face explanation and video will help you understand better than reading a description. :)

Action expresses priority. - Mahatma Ghandi

all in all, is good advicw, but...

Stay small and try to get into either a stable sit, stand or head down position.

i would have to question advising a person who states that she is a 'newbie' to attempt anything other than a ball or sit to remedy a cork.

if this don't apply to you, alana, then it is for others.

a new jumper may read this and file it away and for whatever reason attempt to adopt a HD attitude and either cork hard anyway or steep track into someone else. not a good thing.

it only takes once and there may not be a chance to learn from a mistake like that. i know, i got the lumpy rib to prove itB|

stay alive.
namaste, motherfucker.

i dont understand how to finish off a ff jump without doing this. how are you supposed to go from any ff position into a track without going belly down?

To start you want to ball and cartwheel into a headdown or as close to that as you can get or you can ball and fallover backwards into a backtrack. You'll still slow down but not near as slow as dropping to your belly. Either way the objective is to not go to belly and then track. After you learn headdown you can cartwheel into a headdown increase fallrate and then banana out. or turn and bactrck, I consider these to be the optimal ways break off a FF jump although I'm definitly not an expert. and can't really fly headdown yet.

You're going to cork for a while whether you want to or not. Heck we all cork sometimes. It's a part of skydiving. That's how you learn to counteract it. Since that part will just come naturally...;), your part will be to learn to respond to it quickly.

My biggest suggestion is to go out and do many many flips and other freestyly maneuvres. Flip out of the plane and stop on your back or in a sit. Push your feet down then throw yourself into some layout back flips.

Basically just go off! It teaches you to become more comfortable when you're tumbling, or other wise out of control. It also teaches you to get back into a fast position if you fall or are pushed out of it.... and it's fun.

For now, at Break off, since it will only be you or you and one other person... hint hint.... just stop what your doing and track away. Obviously going flat with some one above you is bad so don't do that :P
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Someone who has experience with the things described in this post may understand what is being said, but a total beginner could become confused or misinterpret what is being described. We've ALL been there!

A person who doesn't undestand how to break off a FF dive without corking will not be able to cartwheel into headdown and backtrack. :)
Alana, Im not suggesting that you should understand what's being described in snowflake's post but if you decide try it - get an experienced cameraflyer or coach to do a 2-way with you so you can see how far and fast you're screaming through the sky. It's WAY eye opening!:)

Hookitt's suggestion of flailing yourself all over the sky on a solo is a great one - and it's SUPER fun!

Make sure your loader knows what you're planning and plan to be stable and belly to earth at a standard FF breakoff altitude - 5k.

Action expresses priority. - Mahatma Ghandi

crazy youre from westerville.... thanks for the replys people! im going out finally this weekend to jump after 2 long awaited months with a broken elbow. my infinity isnt ready yet, so im borrowing a friends old vector. not too many ff's at my dz to coach me, but i still can figure out how to go from a ff jump to tracking away!! ugh!