Rottenmilk

Spread 'em baby?

At this point I'm fairly comfortable in my sit, however, continue to struggle with my forward momentum and tracking. Generally, I find myself more stable with my legs spread wide. However, in order to generate that forward movement is it necessary to bring my legs closer together? Additionally, I've also been ensuring that my pelvis is forward (thanx Steve!) and that I push my back into the wind. This seems to help quite a bit. Anyway, what do you guys think? Thanx!

It's quite important to keep your legs wide. While moving forward make sure you push them in to go faster because your back is more exposed to the wind. That way you can keep the pace your partner is flying with
http://www.swoop.ru

You can also try sweeping your arms back inorder help with the pelvic thrust action to drive forward...
Mind you now I am talking about sit flying not sex:o...
I very qualified free flyer once said "sit flying is easy to learn, but hard to master while head down is hard to learn yet easy to master"
B|...
As for the leg spreading it helps with slowing your fall rate...

"In the quite words of the Virgin Mary, Come again"

"The edge ... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those that have gone over"

Hey, just thought to help you a bit.

A good rule of thumb in sit flying is to use angles to your advantage. Of course, like many things in freeflying, there is no one correct way to do anything. That is the beauty of the sport.

Although, to be a more dynamic flyer (and by that, I mean capable of moving to different positions), try to fly your sit position with 90-DEGREE ANGLES ALL OVER THE PLACE. ...at the knee, between the waste and thighs, in between the legs (yes the crotch), underneath the arms, etc.

You can still move forward and backward by using your body as though it was sitting in a reclining chair. No need to bring your legs together. Arms back, pelvis forward, legs forward a little. And to move backward, it is just the opposite. Arms slightly forward, pelvis back, and legs in slightly. You may notice that your backward movement is more sensitive than the forward - and that is quite normal. Make sure that you get used to countering your momentum (i.e. recline for forward movement then lean in to counter for just a second).

You'll find that the pelvis plays a HUGE roll in freeflying -whether it be on your head or feet. It is the one part of your body responsible for your horizontal movement in the vertical position - in any 360-degree 2-dimensional direction (forward, back, and sidesliding).

Take it one jump/step at a time. Be safe and have fun trying.

-David