keithwilfort

Badfish with the Flyboyz

B|Nice pictures man. by the way I am trying to train my brother and best friend, they started skydiving about a year ago. I am tryng to show them how to freefly so we can all go and have a (safe) blast. I have several more jumps than them I am not good but I am stable.

Here is my question, in the camps do they coach any level and how much does it cost?

Thanks for the pics and any recomendation

60$ for a flyboyz coach jump or 60$ for a regular coach jump? So far my experience has been people will coach, meaning, work with me on dive flow a few minutes before jump, go up, dive with me, debrief me, etc etc, all for the price of their jump ticket. Is it different with freefly? Is it because of the added risk factor of taking a newbie up freeflying?

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

If you hire a professional skydiver to train you, it'll usually cost you at least 60 bucks. It doesn't really matter if it's freeflying, crw, rw, freestyle, skysurf, or riding the plane down, the point is that you're hiring a professional. This is an industry standard.
And, I don't really see the added risk factor of taking a newbie up... People with hundreds of jumps hire professional coaches. Even teams hire coaches...
Coaches can really help you quickly improve your flying... they seem to locate small details in your flying that when corrected, really make you a better flyer.

It will cost you between $60-75/jump for a professional, experienced freefly coach. And there is a reason for that.

They have the skills to do what they are teaching you to do. And the ability to really 'see' what's going on in your video and to break it down for you (to actually teach rather than suggest/advise). Most teach for a living so they have seen most anything there is to see in the air and can help you overcome bad habits as well as predict and avoid any new ones.

Learning to fly your body in any other position than belly to earth is more difficult - it's not a 'natural' position to 'fall' in. Your speeds are higher vertically and that translates into higher horizontal speeds with movement - therefore it is potentially more dangerous to learn to freefly on your own. The possibility of corking (rapidly losing vertical speed) into someone, shooting forward or backward, or even rapidly gaining speed into someone, careening around the sky - possibly into the flightline is much more likely than in a strict belly to earth position.

When you're asking your friendly neighborhood freeflyer for advice or 'coaching', they will probably be able to give you a few tips here or there but generally their range of information will be limited to their experience.

I don't mean to say that your buddy couldn't help you out. But if he's got bad habits, you'll have them too.

A typical schedule for beginner freefly coaching would be 3-5 coached jumps in between a good number of solos or 2-ways to work on and get comfortable with what you've learned. You'll spend far less money doing it the right way first - than having to go back and unlearn bad habits or spending 50 jumps with a buddy trying to figure out what you're doing wrong. And you'll be alot safer in the air.

As you can tell, I'm a huge proponent of getting information from the best/most qualified source. It's easy to give advice and opinions (as is obvious by the fact that these forums are FULL of it - I'm doing it right now!) and people will always be willing to give it to you. And we should all share what we learn. But when it comes time to really learn for yourself and safely further your skills - consider the source of your information.

The Flyboyz have 'been there' from the beginning. They're innovators as well as instructors. As are a number of other flyers and teams. Where else can you go to the actual 'inventor' for instruction?

Put it this way - The most you'll get from a coach is the best that he's got. How good is the guy you're learning from?

(Sorry if this post is misplaced)

Action expresses priority. - Mahatma Ghandi

thank you! That put it into perspective. I think when I start freeflying, in 20 or so jumps, I'll do a few solos but then very quickly jump right into coached jumps. I'm looking foward to it.

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...