skyejumper

need advice on carving

Now that I have the hang of head down flying, including forward and backward movement, I'm wondering of someone could tell me what I need to do in order to carve. :| Whenver an experienced freeflyer is carving around me, it looks like they're just arching more.. and.. umm.. bending one leg? Not sure.... that's why I'm asking you guys! Thanks. :)

Well...so far I have not been able to get into that cool position with both arms back. I can only put one back and still maintain any kind of control. I have tried both back and I get going so fast that I go flying out 50 ft and have to stop. :D A little pressure on the back leg and put the arm back that is away from your turn. That's how I do it but obviously....I SUCK!!! :D

Carving can be tricky to learn, but there are a couple of things that you can practice before going straight to a carve. The first thing is a side slide: You want to have more drag on one side of your body that the other. You can do this by applying more pressure on the OUTSIDE of your leg (on the side you're sliding away from), and by taking a little arm out of the side you're sliding towards. With practice, you'll be able to do this with just legs. Now you can add the element of the slight forward drive. You can lay back with the legs a little to get enough drive that would let you take a dock with your buddy, but since you've thrown in the side-slide, you'll just orbit around him. As you get better doing this slowly, you'll start to feel that your entire body is kind of acting like a single blade on a propeller. You anlge your body not only to drive you forward, but also to turn to the right or left (depending on your carve direction). This position will allow you to perform faster, flatter carves. In the end, your arms will simple act as part of your body that is creating this angle, which is why you'll see people with their arms on their sides during a nice, laid out carve.

Hope that helps!

Trent
Oh, hello again!