Rottenmilk

Weight lifting a disadvantage?

What's up everyone?
I've been a serious weight lifter for several years now, and skydiver for only one year (approx. 100 jumps). I want to start exploring freeflying and understand that the sit fly is the best position to begin with. However, here is my predicament: I have a difficult time stretching my arms behind my back due to tight muscles. Is this a disadvantage?
Let me know what you guys think!
J.

If you're a serious weight lifter, you'll also be serious about flexability, since flexability promotes strength. Also, flexability can do nothing but help you with skydiving. I myself am a fairly motivated weight lifter and the only thing that I found to be a disadvantage is weight for freeflying. Before I bought a good jumpsuit (read: heavy material and baggy as all get out), I was reaching speeds around and over 200mph in sits/stands. That's not too good if you want to jump with other people, now I can slow myself down to an average of 140 on a jump and even slower if I really need too.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I know a really big dude... zero neck ... all muscle.

In his AFF days, he had some trouble. Mainly his arch wasnt great at first. Later on he learned to relax and fly. It took some mental training as opposed to muscle training. It works out fine if you just relax and work with it not work at it.

Then I believe he crossed-over and did mostly sit flying and found he flew better that way. He has a kinda big freefly suit. But certainly not as big as some I have seen. Id say its rather tight for a big guy. But he maintains.

Come to think of it, I never see him flying with anyone. But then he is a really quiet guy. I know he will jump with me, so next time I see him I will ask him. Most people will jump with me at least once. B|

But anyhow, he did learn to fly and fly rather well from all accounts. He found his own style and went with it.

I think its what we all do. Figure it out. Find our sweet spot and build on that. Time and space is all you need. He never altered his normal lifestyle with wieght lifting. He just added an additional sport. ~Skydiving~

~AirAnn~

I have a difficult time stretching my arms behind my back due to tight muscles. Is this a disadvantage?

No actually might be a slight advantage because you can't sweep your arms back to correct for backsliding due to body position. I used to have shoulder problems and sitting is no problem and I can't sweep my arms back very far

Eric Butts is fsking HUGE and he freeflies with a lot of folks. He's a damn good sitflier and falls at a speed that's comfortable for us skinny head-downers ;).

You just need to adjust style & clothing to fit the body size.

In some ways, strength training could be useful. I sure wish I had better leg strength to really push out in X-man so I don't have to daffy or rely on my arms as much.

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon