airelement

Canopy size a good fit?

I am preparing to take AFF very soon. I am aware I have to jump a student rig until Im off student status. However I am looking into buying a rig from a friend of mine for a great price, but I want to make sure it is a good size canopy for a new jumper. The canopy, I believe, is a PD 170. I am about 5'8" and 125lbs. Im taking it to the DZ this weekend to have the rigger look at it for me, but im looking for extra opinions. Is this size recommended for a new jumper? Thanks for any advice!

It wouldn't necissarily be a bad canopy, it really depends on how many jumps the canopy has on it.

The PD series of canopies from PD are all F-111 canopies, so after a few hundred jumps, the porosity of the material is higher then when it was new. Eventually the canopy just won't perform like it should, possibly giving you harder landings. Also, you really shouldn't load a F-111 canopy higher then about 1:1 (which you wouldn't be doing). Also, its a wise idea to keep you're winloading at or below 1:1 as a beginner. B|

Talk to the rigger about this, he/she should be able to explain it to you, as well as inspect the canopy for airworthiness.

Also, this is important, talk to your instructors about this canopy, and see what they recommend for you for a first canopy. They're the ones that see you fly and their the ones that can really give you good advice as to what size canopy you need and what type of canopy you need. All of us on the internet can't really do that for you.

What ever happens, good luck!:)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I am preparing to take AFF very soon. I am aware I have to jump a student rig until Im off student status. However I am looking into buying a rig from a friend of mine for a great price, but I want to make sure it is a good size canopy for a new jumper. The canopy, I believe, is a PD 170. I am about 5'8" and 125lbs. Im taking it to the DZ this weekend to have the rigger look at it for me, but im looking for extra opinions. Is this size recommended for a new jumper? Thanks for any advice!

Here's some advice. Don't buy anything until you decide that you really like skydiving! Finish AFF, maybe get your A, then buy something. If your friends great deal isn't around then I can promise you that there will be others. You don't even know if you'll LIKE skydiving at this point, save your money for AFF.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

Jimbo, thats great advice...airelement...you'd be wise to listen to this first. I know many students that thought they liked the sport after a few tandems. they get to there 10th 11th jump and suddenly realize it is just NOT for them...

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

I weigh just a little less than you and did my first jump on a PD170. I ended up buying a PD150 for my first canopy. If the canopy is in good shape and all that, it's probably a good choice. F111 canopies aren't very popular but I have plenty of fun with my 150. I was very pleasantly surprised to find how much quicker and more responsive it is than the larger ones (I did most of my student jumps on PD230s).

You're probably going to get a lot of advice to get a ZP canopy. I am very happy with my choice of F111. It's easy to fly, easy to land, and easy to pack.

Out of curiosity, how much is the canopy selling for? Just be careful not to overpay.

Dave

You really shouldn't think of buying it now. Save the money for tickets and once you're through AFF, if your instructors say its ok, do a few testjumps on the rig and then decide what to do.
If it's a friend, he'll let you do that and accept you doing it this way, because that's a safe one.

Oh, not to forget! HAVE FUN ON YOUR AFF!:)
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

Thanks everone for the advice!! I think I'm still gonna have a rigger take a look at it to see if its even an open door, but I'll get thru AFF (to A) first then think about buying.

I have thot about 'what if i buy the rig and take AFF and skydiving isnt for me', I think i was under pressure b/c my friend told me that she was trying to sell it online too. I'm not sure what she is selling it for online, but she was probably going to go lower for me(its actually an entire set, main, reserve, aad, helmet , altimeter and stash bag)

Thanks guys! Although I have done 4 tandems (in the last 2 years) but I still want any newbie advice.B|

Linsie