mwthomsen

Freefly suit Question?

Depends on your body and how fast you fall. From what I've been told - and those who know better please correct me if I'm wrong!! - lightweight featherbutts usually need a snug midsection and not much in the way of drag (material) on the arms and legs; suits for them are usually built of the lighter weight materials (light weight polycotton for example). The average jumper usually needs more drag all over than the featherbutt, particularly in the arms and legs but also through the midsection, and their suits are usually built of a heavier weight cotton material. The really big/fast boys suits have lots of drag all over and the suits are often built of a double layer of the heavier weight cotton.
If you're jumping with a coach or have some a really good freefliers around to ask that's the hot tip. You can also let the suit manufacturer give you some guidance; this works best with the manufacturers who have freefliers on staff (DaKine, Tony Suits, Firefly, Freedom Means Choice, etc.).
And again, all of the above could be totally off so those who know better please respond! :)pull and flare,
lisa
--
What would Scooby Doo?

The suit that I'm having built for me (big boy type of suit to slow down fall rate) is as baggy as they (Freedom means Choice) makes, it is using the heaviest cotton fabric they use on the arms and legs, with poly cotton in the midsection. That is merely for comfort, especially in the summer, since it is lighter it will be a little cooler, etc.
"Wait...are you selling Penis Mighters?"

Well me being a right fat bastard i guess i should have got my self a big old baggy suit but instead i got myself a fairly tight around the mid section and a bit baggyish around the legs and arms, it has helped me to learn how to fly with whichever size the person i am jumping with just my ten cents i think you should learn the body flight plus sit you will find fairly difficult in a baggy suit
cya mooose

I bought 2 heavy cotton ones from Tad's Sportwear. My partner and I loved them for freeflying, but we fell way too slow for other freeflers to jump with us...
Lesson of the day: As with most gear purchases, try before you buy.
I think a great alternative is to use various pants and sweat shirts to customize your fall rate with other jumpers. A strap of elastic sewn on the bottom of a pair of bells makes a great pair of freefly pants!
Skydiving is not a static excercise with discrete predictability...