falxori

sitfly practice

Hi ,
i've started sitflying recently and i know all of the theory on how it should be done , but...
during freefall, even if i find myself sitting, i start to spin and dive sideways like a F-16 on a strike run...
at that point i just arch , get stable and try again...
i think the problem is mostly my legs...
-what is the best way to get to the position ? from belly to earth or from on my back ?
- any good exercise i can do to make the right muscles to work (beside squats against a wall..)
thanks
O

Hey, I've been sitflying for a little while and have had luck getting into position by pulling my legs up all the way into my chest and putting my arms straight out....how they should be in a sit.. that will put you in the right position, then, drop your legs into position slowly.....then, make sure your knees are apart and your feet are apart....see if that works!!

Going to youre belly is a dangerous idea. youre going too fast.

Actually going to your belly isn't really dangerous because you are going too fast, rather it's several things:
* When you're on your belly in a group it's possible that you'll collide with the person above you. This is bad.
* When you go on your belly while flying with a group you'll probably end up out of the sight of those you're flying with. In _any_ skydive it's important to know where everyone on your group is.
I don't see anyone getting injured because they flipped from a [sit|stand|head down] to their belly. It's when this is done in groups that you're in for trouble.

my point though jimbo, its not a good idea to get into a bad habit. yeah, doing a solo it doesnt make much of a difference. Getting into that habit, then going out on a group freefly (even just 2 people) going belly down can cause problems. What if somebodys above you and you go back to what you knew when you were learning (going to your belly). that can cause a huge problem.
just trying to encourage him to learn a better way~ going to his back if he's got to go either way.
My little corner of the web.

safety postion (or comfort position) just go on to a ball (forget about arching) and learn how to track of on your back from a sit position as this will slow your speed gradually and you will have a better observation. when doing a sit jump prior to break off have a good look around, up down left and right then gradually go into a back track as you can see other people track on to your front track some more do a barrel roll and when your in a good clear area wave off and pull.
but like they're saying be safe and have fun and relax a bit don't try to hard or it ends up going to a pile of pooh
cya moose

but like they're saying be safe and have fun and relax a bit don't try to hard or it ends up going to a pile of pooh

Exactly this is the whole secret. Relax.... breathe... stay calm... concentrate on your relaxed breathing and at the same time keep tension in your muscles... let things happen... smooth... and allow yourself getting surprised ;-))))
Blues Marcus

"Relax.... breathe... stay calm... concentrate on your relaxed breathing"
This has become something of a joke at SD Atlanta. On a video the DZO is quite calmly chewing gum while head down with a skyball. Everyone else is concentrating hard on flying and here he is just chillin....chewin some gum....LOL
"Houston? That place is full of Crack heads and debutantes."- Hank Hill
Clay

I just started sit flying too...
First time i tried... had the same problem - my feet / lower legs were catching the air and flipping me around in a spin. Dont let the air push you around - you have to push down on your feet and be quite positive with it.
The other thing is the VRW or stable position. This is what i/we call the 'bomb' position - arms out and knees tucked in - much better than going flat... then push your feet down from this position. Feet flat on the wind flow and lower legs absolutely vertical otherwise they will catch the air and flip you around again....
Good Luck, blues...
Phil
---
If you have to ask, you don't understand