WMO

Vegas Platinum Rendering Slow

Vegas Movie Studio uses CUDA or GPU as well, assuming there is a compatible device on the system.
If it's *just* AVC/AVCHD, the dual Athlon should be acceptable for personal use, but not at all considerable in say, a tandem turnaround.

WMO, can you provide source info, project info, and final output information?
What plugins (if any) are you applying? Any compositing happening?
Render time compared to project length would be useful too.

Yeah, I am aware that newer software also uses GPU for rendering, but from what OP posted, my guess is on an older laptop (09/10) with integrated graphics, or maybe something like ATI Radeon that were shipped with Toshibas for example.

Anyway, RAM won't do it.
Many factors to consider - formats, usage, etc.
My best bet would be to invest in new hardware if it's for professional (tandem operation where speed is crucial) use, or just deal with it if it's just occasional home processing (leaving final rendering overnight, etc)

/but i'm not an expert. just more of an IT geek :P

michalm21

Yeah, I am aware that newer software also uses GPU for rendering, but from what OP posted, my guess is on an older laptop (09/10) with integrated graphics, or maybe something like ATI Radeon that were shipped with Toshibas for example.

Anyway, RAM won't do it.
Many factors to consider - formats, usage, etc.
My best bet would be to invest in new hardware if it's for professional (tandem operation where speed is crucial) use, or just deal with it if it's just occasional home processing (leaving final rendering overnight, etc)

/but i'm not an expert. just more of an IT geek :P

Agreed.
It all comes down to the CPU (and GPU if the unit offers compatible hardware)
What we don't know is the relative of "slow." Is slow 2 mins to render 4 mins, or is slow 20 mins to render 4 mins? And, the output format. Uncompressed will take forever on a laptop (slow drives, CPU speed) while MP4 is nicely optimized for even older CPU's.

WMO

My Dell M5010 Inspiron laptop is running an AMD Athlon II P320 dualcore 2.10 Ghz processor with 3 GB ram. Would a simple RAM upgrade to 6 or 8 GB result in a noticeably faster render speed?

I've had experience with Vegas Pro.
An upgrade of ram will not make it faster.

You'll have to consider upgrading your processor AND motherboard. Dualcore is old technology. Quad and dual quads are available on AMD's line.