mircan

Camera tips for filming 20-ish ways?

Hi there. Can anyone give me some tips on doing camera for 20-ish RW formations? Useful stuff, things that are not so obvious? Formations will be RW belly, 20-25 way, one tailgate aircraft (Mi-8), participants with very diverse skill levels, several jump days.
I have about 700+ camera jumps (mostly tandems, smaller RW loads, some FF - usual c182 DZ stuff). I jump with wings. Also I did a lot of jumps from Mi-8.
I have the overall plan, but you don`t know what you dont know... :P
Thanks.
dudeist skydiver #42

first of all.... Communicate effectively with the entire group about where you plan to BE... throughout the entire dive.. THEN Be there...Work with the L O and be sure to attend the dirt dive(s)
I've had the pleasure of videoing big ways from a Casa,, (as well as otters ) many times.. Think hard, about exiting First..( Not always good) since you could put yourself out and away.... real quick... If you jump the gun and leave at any point which is before the base... Leave late.. and you're INTO the base...[:/] so there is a fine touch when it comes to the exit TIMING

i have had success being off to the side, on the ramp, and leaving WITH them.. Brief the divers, that You WILL be there,,, as they clear the door,,, and tell them which side you will move to....:| Let the late divers KNOW that you will be on this side or that side, etc....
This way you can capture the launch and then get positioned relative to the location of the sun... be sure to stay out of any of the diving lanes.. for the late flyers..
KNOW the formation,,, so that as it builds you can position yourself to fill your frame.. without being to close,,, OR too far away/above.
IF the formation does NOT build... ( as might be the case with "a variety of skill levels" ) do your best to be AWARE of exactly WHERE :o ... the jumpers who are OUT.. ( or under it ) may be.. :S[:/];)
this about collision avoidance and self preservation....:P
You can move your eyes ONLY to scan for anyone who is NOT docked.. without having your cameras leave the formation...
Start moving UP a bit as seperation altitude is approaching.. I seldom sit fly and so would not find myself Under it, looking UP.. But if YOU do.... then get Those creative shots, early On.. and then get outta there.. Jumpers who are turning and tracking almost always have NO idea, of where the camera guy is.... and a facefull of a friend.. coming right AT you....at 4 grand or worse yet , 3 grand is NO good..

so be Up ... near the end of the dive, and press to where the center of the formation WAS..... and Pull!!! let 'em all KNOW either at the D Dive. or while boarding.... that you'll "take the center".. and DO so...
You can also leave from inside aircraft,,, which allows you to turn and scan the divers... as the base is setting up.. and then go RIGHT with them.... moving to a pre-declared side.. as soon as the exit is completed. This way IF the base comes off clean... you have a good close-up of it.... instead of being way "down the hill from it"... You can then scan UPwards to catch the later exiters for a second or 2 or 3.... Then back to the base as flyers start to close on it...
have fun... skydive safely

jmy
A 3914
D 12122

I've done a number of jumps organized with Guy Wright with Norman Kent (or a select few others) as well as by myself.

I think Jimmy touched on pretty much all the points.

Timing the exits off the tailgate is easier (I assume you will be exiting the rear doors of the Mi-8) and your best bet is to leave just before the floaters does on the side door exits.

If you have a good organizer then it's less critical if you touch a floater then it is to get into the base.

With tailgate exits I usually coordinate with the floaters and often take a spot in the middle (if I'm in a Casa) and also leave a hair early.

It is important to coordinate with the load organizer and if other videographers decide to participate in the jumps as well then make sure you know their skill levels also and coordinate with them also to ensure in particular where you both will be at break-off.

oh, and be sure to have fun... I do really like shooting larger formations...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

You've gotten a lot of good advice, but I'll add one thing to that mix, centered around equipment.

I know a lot of tandem and 4 way video folks that shoot really wide angle lenses, for exit framing and to be up close and personal for tandems.

I personally wouldn't recommend something like a .38 for bigger way formations. Exit frame is simply less critical, and a narrower lens allow you to fly farther back from the formation, where you're less likely to get burbled, and better able to see the folks on the outside making their approach.

I've shot my .55 on our monthly 16-22 ways group, and have actually considered trying it with no wide angle adapter at all.

Oh yeah, one more thing. The burble on a 20 way is really big. :P

"If all you ever do is all you ever did, then all you'll ever get is all you ever got."

> With tailgate exits I usually coordinate with the floaters and
> often take a spot in the middle (if I'm in a Casa) and also leave
> a hair early.

Use a camera helmet with solid chin protector / cup. With not so optimal timing, there is a fair chance that a floaters foot hit you on the sweet spot.

Some suggestions:

Big wings. You will be flying in people's burbles.

Get steeper than you think you need to be. (applies to most belly filming, not just bigways.)

Have a plan for breakoff especially with multiple cameramen. In general you don't want to pull directly above any formation, both for canopy opening and potential collision reasons.

A canopy that snivels forever is not always a good choice for bigways since you'll often be pulling above people.

Learn to trust your lens, and learn the difference between SD and HD frame size. You'll often need that extra width if you have HD.

Make your approach clearly different than a participant. Often I fly in along one of the standard radials but higher and then make a pretty aggressive (i.e. obvious to people) move to get even further above it. (Not an issue if you are with the base on exit.)

Pick your backgrounds before you exit. Water and clouds are great; open areas are OK, towns and cities are distracting.

Remember where the sun is.

Thanks guys :)
Great advice I`ll just have to put it in practice.
The wings I jump are reasonably big, helmet is FTP so it`s stable and chin protected, main lens will be Raynox 5050, I always shoot in HD, in MI-8 it should not be so hard to hang far back and right claiming some clean air for me... Considering those great shots from below, I`m pretty good at backflying, but we`ll see with head honcho what he thinks.:)
Thanks again ;)

dudeist skydiver #42