RedKite

HDR HC3...can it be fixed?

I have a Sony HDR HC3 and it's been a good servant (although this model does have its faults of course).

A few weeks ago the flip-open screen picture lost green altogether. Then this last weekend it lost all colour except red.

The camera still functions perfectly in every other way. I am assuming that there is some sort of 'ribbon' running from the body of the camera into the screen ( "No Shit Sherlock" I hear you shout!!!) and that it has frayed or broken with wear as a result of the door being repeatedly opened, revolved and closed.

This camera is four/five years old and has been 100% reliable so in reality it owes me nothing. However, seems a shame to waste an otherwise good camera. Is there an easy fix for this problem that makes economic sense???

Advice appreciated.:)
Regards

redkite

You can usually find an appliance/tv/electronic repair place that might be able to help. That, or send it back to Sony. I'm not sure what the cost would be either way.

I saw CX150's on sale at SAM's last week for 360bucks...

edit *just saw you were in the UK...all that info might not help you :(

I had a similar failure on an HC1. It's usually due to a broken flex between the screen and the camera body. Had it fixed by a guy in Florida for about $120.

(Funny side note - he looked at the elapsed time counter and said "this camera looks like it's seen a lot of action but the elapsed time meter says only 50 hours!" I explained that the skydiving environment was both pretty harsh and limited to about a minute of usage at a time.)