kitof1976

Fabric for home made freefly pants?

Does anyone know a good online source for fabric that I could be used to make freefly pants?
Here is the deal. I have designed the patterns and I have already sewed my pants out of cheap cotton fabric and I know everything fits fine. But Now my problem is that I actually have to find the right type of fabric to make the final pants.
I read in previous posts that poly cotton is a good material to use in freefly pants and that it holds up pretty good in free fall. I know I can get the cordura and accessories from para-gear.
What I am looking for is some cool print Fabric like they have on some tony suits.
Does anyone know where I can buy some fabric like that? Or maybe give me an alternate choice of fabric that works well and especially tell me where I can buy it?

"We see the world just the way we are...

I'm looking for exactly the same material. I've already been to look in a few fabric warehouses in in my town but had found nothing that even resembles the material i'm looking for. I'm a bit weary about buying online because I want to feel the thickness of the material first.

------------------------------------------------------
May Contain Nut traces......

I am glad to know that I am not only one looking for this type of material... I have also gone to a few fabric shop in town but I have not found anything that remotely comes close to what I am looking for.
If you go on the tony suit web site, you can see sample of really cool fabrics with super cool prints...

There has to be a way to find these fabrics for sale somewhere... HELP!!!

I just came back from Walmart this afternoon and they had some freefly friendly prints there. Remember, if a fabric doesn't have enough body you can always double layer it.

I am sure i can find some cool looking fabric pretty much everywhere. The thing I am looking for the right type of fabric that will really hold up for a while and that has the right "drag" properties.
I am not sure that a 100% cotton printed fabric will stay together after a few jumps.

I just made a free fly jump suit this week, and I used some fabric from the local fabric store. I reinforced the but and knees with Cordura, and still have to finish the cuffs at the ankles, and wrists. I hope to jump it this weekend. I will post the results of how it holds up for the first few jumps.

Blue Skies,
Wags

I (mum) made some pants out of talson, or parasilk, depending on where you buy it from. I just wanted somthing to wear on fun dives, and the fact that I haven' got my rel suit yet... We're (she's) going to make up a second pair of pants, and a jacket too.

I love my mum...
--
Arching is overrated - Marlies

Someone mentioned to me that a polycotton is what iis normally used in freefly suits/pants. I'm determined to make these because i'm not prepared to pay what the manufacturers charge.

Someone mentioned to me that a polycotton is what iis normally used in freefly suits/pants. I'm determined to make these because i'm not prepared to pay what the manufacturers charge.

Dave, I have bought some black poly cotton from fabric.com and the fabric is really nice and has a good weight to it. The only thing that sucks is that the color available are really limited. I just can't seem to find poly cotton fabric with some cool prints :(.
But this site might be a start for you...

Am I the only skydiver enough in touch with my femine side to want to make bitching home made freefly pants??? ;)

Cheers dude, can you send us the url for that section of the site please? I've been looking around it but cant seem to find the material your talking about.

http://store.yahoo.com/phoenixtextiles/fabric-apparel---fashion-fabrics-cotton-prints---solids-fat-quarters.html
I managed to find some patterned material in pretty funky designs though, not sure if its the kind of stuff your looking for or if its the right sort of material mind.

I can't belive i've just been browsing a site that has sections about 'Quilt and Craft' and 'Ultimate Sweater'!! [:/]

Look for a fabric called Supplex Nylon. It's made by Dupont (perhaps if you check the Dupont website for local dealers?)

Supplex is IMO the best fabric for jumpsuits and whatnot. It has all the stregth and durability of Nylon but feels and flaps about just like cotton. The coefficient of drag for this fabric is somewhat less than poly-cotton.

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

Thanks for all the good advice.
I have found some black medium weight polycotton and also some heavy duty 100% cotton fabric with a pretty cool flaming design.
I have been working on my pants and I just finished them last week! I put a test jump on them last saturday and they worked great!!! So far everything held together. I was kind of scared that I might end up butt naked :P
I'll post a picture of my pants shortly on here.
My wife think I look like Evel Knivel... she also mentioned Freddie Mercurie skydiving [:/]
Not sure how to take that...
Maybe some conoisseur eyes might say something more encouraging :P