mirage62

Stuck Cut away handle

This weekend we attempted to cut away a G4 Mirage for repack. The pull was very hard, I believe to be unpullable under canopy. This was a new rig. The owner had not cut the rig away when they recieved it. As a test we held the cut away cables with two fingers and where able to "hold" the cables fairly easily. We could find no kinks in the cables or the hard housings. We looked but did not find any dirt or grit that might have bound the cable. The rig is with a rigger now who'll do a better incepection than I can.

The above is just for limited information. I curently own and jump a Mirage every weekend and love it.
Kevin Keenan is my hero, a double FUP, he does so much with so little

"What does that test?"

(sorry I haven't figured out the quote thing)

I thought that to be able to hold the cut away cables with finger preasure, while somebody pulled on the cut away handle was a good indication that it was binding.

All the pulls were with someone in the rig, and we all took turns pulling from out side to.

The cables had been lubed but by what I don't know
Kevin Keenan is my hero, a double FUP, he does so much with so little

I haven't tried any Teflon based lubricants, so I don't know.

The Ace Pure Silicone Lubricant was recommended by Mr. Booth. I went and bought a can and it is amazing. It cleans the cables and leaves behind some slick silicone that is dry. It doesn't attract dirt and seems to keep the cables cleaner than using nothing at all or any other lubricant that leaves an oily film behind.

I have tried a bunch of different lubricants and this stuff beats them all by far.

Hook

I'd use what the manufacturer recommends-period.

The way I read this is that the hard pull is after the velcro has been peeled, so it seems to be a cable/housing problem. Please let us know if silicone fixes the problem. I have heard of this before, but not on new rigs. The manufacturer should be alerted also.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

:)
I've been using the 100% silicone for years, great stuff. Teflon may cause a build up in that most that I've used were in a solution much as graphite is.

I wipe down the cables until I no longer see any dirt on the rag, then coat the cables one more time.

Blues,

J.E.
James 4:8