AggieDave

Nikon AF-S VR quirk?

No, I don't fly this setup, I'm a hobbyist, but you folks tend to be the go-to guys for camera questions.

I just finished up a week in Big Bend, shot a lot of pictures and got to run a couple of lenses for some nice landscape stuff. Anyways, I have a new lens that is the Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED IF AF-S DX VR. I loved shooting it, but I figured out later that with the VR on, the image "shifts" just a hair when it runs. I didn't figure this out until I tried to put together some bracketed shots into some HDR. Playing with the lens after getting home, I found this quirk and what was causing it. If I turn it off, even with AF on it doesn't do this shift.

The Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX VR kit lens that came with my D3000 doesn't have this quirk. And the Nikon 12-24mm f/4G ED IF Autofocus DX I was running doesn't do it (then again, this one isn't a VR).

Am I cursed for buying cheaper glass or do you think I have a funky one-off problem?

Regardless, the non-bracketed shots came out GREAT (for my hobbyist-wanna-be ways).B|
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I have the AF-S 55-200 VR (I don't jump my stills camera though), must say I've noticed a similar thing: you can see it through the viewfinder if you first half-press the shutter release button and then lift your finger. Then the VR system stops, it slightly shifts the image. Cure ? I use Photomatix, it has a feature that fixes such things.

Were you shooting HDR from a tripod? If you are mounted on a tripod you actually want to turn VR off as it can induce image shake as the VR searches for movement.

Yes I was. I did not know that. See, I said I was a wanna-be hobbyist!

I have the AF-S 55-200 VR (I don't jump my stills camera though), must say I've noticed a similar thing: you can see it through the viewfinder if you first half-press the shutter release button and then lift your finger. Then the VR system stops, it slightly shifts the image. Cure ? I use Photomatix, it has a feature that fixes such things.

That is it exactly.

I've been thinking about trying out Photomatix, been using PS Elements (no, I'm not going to pay for the full PS nor would I use it very well). Anyways, Elements didn't handle the shift all too well.

That is it exactly.

I've been thinking about trying out Photomatix, been using PS Elements (no, I'm not going to pay for the full PS nor would I use it very well). Anyways, Elements didn't handle the shift all too well.

Photomatix is an excellent program and very well priced too. if you use the code PICTURECORRECT at checkout you will be %15 off. I think they are still running it anyway.

Also, to further reduce shake, use a remote release to help ensure tack sharp photos.

Photomatix is an excellent program and very well priced too. if you use the code PICTURECORRECT at checkout you will be %15 off. I think they are still running it anyway.

Also, to further reduce shake, use a remote release to help ensure tack sharp photos.

Yup, shortly after my last post, I bought and downloaded the program. It's really handy. I typically run a remote, but the D3000 doesn't auto bracket, so I have to push buttons with my fat sausage fingers anyways. Someday I'll upgrade to a higher quality camera body, maybe by then I'll have learned how to take better photos.

Yup, shortly after my last post, I bought and downloaded the program. It's really handy. I typically run a remote, but the D3000 doesn't auto bracket, so I have to push buttons with my fat sausage fingers anyways. Someday I'll upgrade to a higher quality camera body, maybe by then I'll have learned how to take better photos.

One final tip - for HDR, shoot in Aperture priority to ensure a constant DoF.