Skydivesg

Keyboard for Sony Vegas

Its not worth it unless you are trying to learn all the keyboard shortcuts to the product. Most people are mouse users so unless you are trying to edit via keyboard only the easier thing to do is to just print out the keyboard shortcuts and use that.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Its not worth it unless you are trying to learn all the keyboard shortcuts to the product. Most people are mouse users so unless you are trying to edit via keyboard only the easier thing to do is to just print out the keyboard shortcuts and use that.

I am not sure I disagree with what you are saying technically, but I disagree with the resignation to using primarily a mouse instead of keyboard shortcuts. I find that almost everything that I can learn to do with keyboard shortcuts is MUCH faster than anything I do with a mouse (and not only in video editing).

I would argue that an editor who uses primarily his mouse is a slow editor. In Final Cut Pro (and I am sure most other NLEs as well) many tool selections are just a single keystroke away. Want to switch to the razor blade tool? "B." Slip? "S." Back to the selection tool? "A." Viewer window? "Command-1." Canvas? "Command-2." Timeline? "Command-3." etc., etc. All of which are much faster than performing the same things with a mouse. And what editor worth his salt doesn't use JKL (or "I" and "O" for that matter)?

That being said, you are right that most people probably are primarily mouse users, but at their own loss of time and efficiency. And I have never personally used one of these NLE-specific keyboards (although I have been tempted, I am sure there are a lot more keyboard shortcuts and time savings I could learn). It certainly isn't necessary to use one of these keyboards to learn keyboard shortcuts. However, if an aspiring editor could spend $100 and greatly improve their editing speed, I would argue that is money well spent.

My two sense...

I use one, as do all the systems at Elsinore and a few other DZ's.
They are handy for reminders about shortcuts, but they *are* just a regular keyboard.
More expensive, but better quality with jog shuttle and other features are the Bella USA keyboards.
I'm on my BB, please forgive the lack of a link.