skinnay

Risers turning off the hypeye

No, because I thought about that before installing my hypeye and put it in a spot where it can't get hit. I'm always surprised how many people mount them right on the sides of their helmets where they're so easy to bump or even get sheared right off.

The solution is to move your hypeye.

Dave

Darn Dave....
There you go showin' common sense. :D
To the OP...this is where you get to drill another hole.
The other option is to build up a little "ramp" from plastic or something, that will deflect the riser if it goes to your button.

If your HypEye is a "snag point," what else might you have missed? See an experienced camera flyer on your DZ, I'm sure they can help you out.

Thanks, I will try taping a small plastic ring around the button. None of the hypeye is exposed besides the 1/16" of the button. This was installed by the helmet manufacturer. However, I'm always happy to take any help or advice offered =]

That's some attitude you got there pal. You're giving Dave's everywhere a bad name.

Ever thought about just moving the riser? Duh? Why would you want to drill holes in your camera helmet? Just move the riser elsewhere, and your problem is solved. Get rid of the thing all together, you another one, right? Hell, if you count reserve risers there's four of them. What is this, a riser collecting convention?

Sometimes the simplest answer is right in front of your face, or beside your face right after slapping you in the back of the head.

Sorry, sometimes I don't really think outside the box... which makes me miss the simple solution.

Seriously though, I see so many poorly thought out cameye/hypeye and ringsight installations. I'm amazed some of them don't snag a riser on every jump. Most people don't want any advice though... especially after the helmet is finished.

Dave

Most people don't want any advice though... especially after the helmet is finished.

Dave

I do! Which is why I just redid my helmet for the Umpteen time. Each time I do, it becomes a little bit better... and then we find another "something to improve". One of these days, I'll get it right. Until then, fell free to comment or give advice!!!:)
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

You bring up a good point - I've gotten into the habit of "mocking up" a helmet build from the start. After getting all of the hardware in one place, I try to assemble as much as possible without actually drilling or cutting (cameras on quick releases, lens on video camera, etc.). Then liberal use of gaffers tape fixes each component into place where I think it might work. This is an easy way to check for balance, snag points, fit of multiple cameras, items intruding into the field of view of each camera, interference of connectors, card/battery replacement hassles, etc. It's saved me a bunch of rework.

Lance

As stated above, move the Hypeye. I have also seen sucessful use of a ring around the button. If you go to an automotive parts house and ask to see their selection of "O" rings you should be able to find a nice thick one of the right diameter and then simply gaff it down around the button.

Sounds like you are on the right track. I had the same problem. I used hot glue to fill in the button and keep it from moving. I always activate the camera from the camera itself through the d-box (cameye2, but I think the function is similar).