Lioness

beginner gear...

My b-day is coming up this month. I want to send links to my family to try and get some of my skydive gear as my gifts. I have tons of links to find Altimeter, Helmet and fly suit. Any suggestions on what sites are the best quality and/or price?? Thanks so much for any response.

~Blue Skies~

My .02:
I see that on your profile your still a Student Jumper. There is no problem with buying equipment this early. Several People at my DZ bought their gear on student status (myself included) and just chilled until they were cleared to jump it.
Personally, I would advise not droping very much $ on your first Rig. As i see it, it takes a person 2 or 3 years in the Sport or 300ish jumps to figure out what they are going to do. Not everybody is going to be a freeflyer, not everybody is going to be a coach/instructor. You may go out and drop $3000 on a first rig and find out later that i may not be what you want. Also, i speak from experience, as you learn canopy flight, and learn to carve turns to fly your wing in, many of your landing will be less than gracefull. It would be a shame to put a new container through that. Buy some used gear, spend some time in the sport, find out what you want to be doing, and go from there, no hurry, you have your whole life to skydive.
Finally, talk to some riggers in your area - they are the ones who can really guide you in the best direction.

Blue Skies,
=========Shaun ==========

www.para-gear.com is cool

Para-gear doesn't seem to have the best prices. It seems everything is list. But they do have most everything, and a very thorough on-line catalog, so if you're trying to find something specific, they're a good way to go.

I like Square 1, since they've given me good service when I was buying some little things. I haven't done all that much gear shopping, though, so ymmv.

The basic's IMHO helmet, alti, goggles, gloves,log book, just some things that every beginner needs.
I tend to agree, start with used gear as your first rig and realise that new gear out the door is worth 35%
less than what you paid for it. OTOH that makes for some killer deals, let someone else take the 35% in the shorts for your first rig.;)
blue skies
jerry

Thank you all for your replies. I plan to just buy the Alti, Helmet, gloves, and things like that for now. I'm holding off on buying the actual rig until after my AFF is complete. And then I will most likely buy used gear, as I don't want to tear up a nice new rig while I'm still a rookie. I'm also learning how to pack, so I think that will help me to better understand chute's in general before I purchase.

My mom is a seamstress, and I was thinking of having her make me my fly suit. Does anyone have any information on patterns I could get for her??

Thanks again!!

-T

My mom is a seamstress, and I was thinking of having her make me my fly suit. Does anyone have any information on patterns I could get for her??

Search the forums... I've seen 3 or 4 threads covering this.

Also, don't forget that your family can get you the alti and gloves, but for things like helmet and jumpsuit, you will have to think ahead for what you might like to do in skydiving... for example, RW or freefly suit, closed face or open faced helmet.

MB 3528, RB 1182