bigorangemd

cx-100 importing to Vegas Platinum

Just got a cx-100. Seems like the easiest/fastest way to import a video file to Vegas is to take the memory stick out and put it in the computer and import file (I have a Sony Viao). Is this truly the best way. Will there be any degradation of video quality when shooting HD with this method? Thanks in advance.

I don't have a card reader for mine so I just connect the camera to the usb port via the cable, it seems to work fine. The file is the file regardless of how you transfer it to you computer it won't change it. If you like to use the card reader, do so. Have fun with it. Editing in vegas takes a bit of practice but once you get it, it's pretty easy. Good luck

Chuck Bryan

Been using Vegas for a few weeks now and love it. It's much easier than what I was using. I like using the Memory Stick because you don't have to wait for the file to capture it pulls right onto the project board. Just haven't used it all the way through the editing process yet - camera just came today.

You'll want to move the files onto your hard drive. If you edit a video with a video file on your memory stick, you won't be able to re-edit or output the edited video without the original. Try saving a project, then pull the memory stick out and re-open the project. Vegas won't be able to open the media file.

But I agree about the CX100... finally started jumping mine a couple weeks ago. What a pleasure to grab videos off my camera or off of friends' cameras. I collected all the videos from a 4-way scrambles competition last weekend... thank goodness everyone was using a CX100. Just a few minutes to download the entire competition. Tapes and firewire capture would have made me cry.

Dave

No... Vegas just remembers the location of the media files. If your card reader is drive F, Vegas will just look there for the file.

If you don't want to save your unedited videos, it'll probably work. But I wouldn't recommend it. There won't be any quality degradation, but I would think that it might affect Vegas' performance since the card reader is probably slower than the hard drive.

Dave

Save the files if they are tandems since odds are you'll get a call weeks or months (or even years) later that the customer broke/lost/damaged their DVD and would like a replacement. Its an easy way to make a few dollars and all it will cost you is hard drive space. Besides if you do a end of year video or somthing you lose all your footage if you don't save it to the hard drive. ;)

Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com