jumpwally

Are you a Canonite ? or a Nikonista ?

I must say though, yesterday we had 3 out of the 5 cameramen jumping Canon, of which 2 had lighting-related problems with their lower end cameras. One almost always needs to under-expose his shots, the other has a problems with half his pictures, where the exif says f/7.1 but the picture looks overexposed (like f/3.5). My Nikon D300 never does anything like that :):P

Saskia.. that is one of the problems with "which camera is better"
How well do those 2 camera men know their camera and how are they shooting it?

Mine works like a charm every time, set to M on the body that way the camera doesn't make any smart decisions for me.
Whenever I have to use automated metering / exposure, I pay very close attention to what I am shooting and how, and choose my metering mode based on that.. otherwise you get crappy results for sure.

Those two people probably would have had the same results on a Nikon.

I am all in on Canon, the only thing non Canon I have is my Sigma 15mm, but I'd just as happily shoot Nikon. The reason I stuck with Canon was because I already had a couple of lenses when the DSLRs started coming out, and the remote options on the really early Nikons were not what I wanted...

Canon / Nikon... its not the little box that takes the picture at the end of the day..

How well do those 2 camera men know their camera and how are they shooting it?

One I'd rate as a "real" cameraman, the other more halfway ;) The halfway one has a technical problem with his lens+camera combi like I said, camera says this but lens does that, so either lens (stuck aperture?) or camera has a problem (or maybe the contacts just needs cleaning). The other had a metering problem, which is the top reason for me to shoot Nikon, other than the D80 tendency to overexpose a bit, all my other Nikon cameras can be set to aperture priority and matrix metering for skydiving, while with Canon I had to think much more about exposure and had to use spot metering a lot. This was a few cameras back though so not a 100% fair comparision but in general, matrix lighting on a Nikon works both better and easier than any lighting mode on a Canon, i likes. :)
But yeah, in most cases it's the photographer not the camera ;)

ciel bleu,
Saskia