hottamaly

Canon eos T1I lens choices

I just bought one of these and am looking for a combination lens with Macro and Telephoto. Do any of you have suggestions as to what would work?

Skydiving gave me a reason to live
I'm not afraid of what I'll miss when I die...I'm afraid of what I'll miss as I live

I personally love my sigma 150mm f/2.8 macro. 150mm is the limit you want for handheld use though, it is very good for small or flighty insect etc (I like photographing damselflies with it, with or without flash). For subjects like bigger flowers, toadstools etc you will likely want less mm, more like a 90/100 mm.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

The Canon 100 2.8 is a really nice lens and its not too bad in the pricing for it being a Macro.

The choice in Macro all depends on what you wan to shoot. I only tried it a few times and decided its not for me enough to own a lens to shoot it.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

As others have suggested the Canon 100mm Macro is a great lens. A cheaper alternative that is the Tamron 90mm Macro lens... and still produces a great photo...

I have the later lens and I like it... however if I was to do it again... I would probably consider the Canon only because it mates with the Canon's Twin light more easily then the Tamron does...

Scott
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

A cheaper alternative that is the Tamron 90mm Macro lens... and still produces a great photo...

I was visiting two photo stores where I live to find macrolenses for a photo fraternity at my college. We found that the Tamron 60mm f2.0 and 90mm f2.8 were very good choices. That's when purchasing macro on budget.

The Sigma 150mm f2.8 is also well renowed from what I've understood. browse through a couple of photography forums, get a feel and then go and try them out. If you're close to NY city, stop by BH. Even though they try to sell you everything, they have great customer service and everything..and you get to try it out in the store.:)
BUt to you want telephoto like a 70-200mm lens or a Macro with a telephoto capacity like the 150mm?
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." - Da Vinci
www.lilchief.no

A cheaper alternative that is the Tamron 90mm Macro lens... and still produces a great photo...

I was visiting two photo stores where I live to find macrolenses for a photo fraternity at my college. We found that the Tamron 60mm f2.0 and 90mm f2.8 were very good choices. That's when purchasing macro on budget.

The Sigma 150mm f2.8 is also well renowed from what I've understood. browse through a couple of photography forums, get a feel and then go and try them out. If you're close to NY city, stop by BH. Even though they try to sell you everything, they have great customer service and everything..and you get to try it out in the store.:)
BUt to you want telephoto like a 70-200mm lens or a Macro with a telephoto capacity like the 150mm?

Thanks for all the input. I bought it from BH but live in California. I'm just getting back into photography and have forgotten allot. I want macro and telephoto in one lens if possible.

Skydiving gave me a reason to live
I'm not afraid of what I'll miss when I die...I'm afraid of what I'll miss as I live

Keep in mind that a macro lens isn't that good for use as a "regular" lens: it's quite sharp (ie, not so good for portraits) and usually slow to autofocus, plus is a fixed lens. Of course you can do it, it's just not as good as separate lenses for separate purposes. I for one use my 80-200 f/2.8 zoom way more often as a tele photo lens than the sigma 150 f/2.8, unless a macro lens is all I've got with me: have come close to deer before when I was going for dragonflies, and me with just a nikon 105 macro, oops :S

If you wanted a tele zoom with macro function, it's not macro as such you're getting (ie, nowhere near 1:1), so wouldn't recomend that route at all.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Thanks for all the input. I bought it from BH but live in California. I'm just getting back into photography and have forgotten allot. I want macro and telephoto in one lens if possible.

I was kind of figuring you were interested in a zoom telephoto that can also be used as a macro lens...

unfortunately as Saskia said you really don't get a true macro with your typical zoom telephoto as the "enlargement" capabilities are limited to less then 1 to 1.

One of the more popular lens choices for a zoom telephoto is the Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L with or w/o IS. It does have "macro" capabilities but it is limited (and I'm not sure what the maximum magnificaiton is...)

Technically speaking most dedicated macro lenses can be used as capable fixed focal length telephoto lenses. (Canon's MP-E 65mm f2.8 1-5x Macro is an example of an exception)

A great resource for all things Canon is the Photography on the net forum:
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/

I lurk there and have posted occasionally... :$ under the same monkier I post under here...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...