penelope

Which SD card to use with Rebel XSi?

I'm wondering which SD memory card to use with my new Rebel XSi. I know it's better to get the faster read/write speeds for speed-shooting, but I can't remember what speed CF card I used to use with the Rebel XT (and I can't check since they got stolen). It looks like the SanDisk SDHC cards aren't available in as fast speeds as the CF cards are right now. The "Extreme" model says it does 30MB/sec. I'm a little confused by all the different names I'm seeing when I search different websites ("Extreme III", "Extreme IV", or just "Extreme"). Is 30 MB/sec plenty? Or does anyone know of faster SD cards available? I've seen CF cards up to 90 MB/sec...

Thanks for any input...

Find me on Facebook!

For writing to a card, speed isn't terribly important.

Really? I'm asking because when I used my Minolta 7D to shoot bursts it would do quite fast bursts until buffer was full. Then camera had to write all that stuff to CF card and burst rate dropped a lot (by a factor of 5 or so). I always thought that was because buffer read/write speeds were faster than CF read/write speeds...
I understand the need for conformity. Without a concise set of rules to follow we would probably all have to resort to common sense. -David Thorne

I noticed that my Rebel XT hits the buffer faster with an Extreme 2 than it did with an Extreme 4. I wish I would've known about the faster downloads too, I might have went with another Extreme 4 after my first one died.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.