panzwami

reserve fitting

scares me. Squeeze a reserve into a container? YIKES!!!!

Well, he would do well to contact Sunpath, but it may not be as bad as it sounds... I have a Dolphin D4, which 'lists' the reserve size as a 200, and I had a PD193R in there, that wasn't tight at all. So I emailed Mike Furry (the designer of the Dolphin) and asked him point blank about putting a PD218R in that same sized container. His reply...

"The D-4 was sized for a 200 sq ft reserve with micro-line, and that's a fairly comfortable fit. I would say that a skillful rigger could probably get a 220 sq ft canopy into a D-4 reserve container if it was rigged with micro-line."

I ended up purchasing a Smart 220 (smaller pack volume than the PD218R), and plan on having my 'skillful' rigger put it in that D4.

In addition, if you go to say, Sunrise Riggings web site, and look at sizing they list for their containers, they list a range of reserves that will fit, and actually list the bigger ones as 'tight'. Taken directly from their site...

"W-13 17 x 11 x 6 PD 160R, Tempo 170, Raven-M 181, PD 176R (tight)"

Bottom line, he should check with the mfg of his H&C, and follow their recommendations.

"If all you ever do is all you ever did, then all you'll ever get is all you ever got."

well, the term "squeezing" was only used insofar as it recognizes that the J1 is not specifically sized for a reserve that large.

and yes, of course I would sit down and talk with my rigger in person before just trying to shove it in there.

I'm more concerned with whether anyone has any direct experience with putting a larger reserve in a container designed for a smaller one, and how it turned out.

Matt
-----
Wicked.

I'm more concerned with whether anyone has any direct experience with putting a larger reserve in a container designed for a smaller one, and how it turned out

I have a 126 in my Wings container and it's designed for a 113...It fits fine but I don't have a cypress in that rig.

The Tempo has a smaller than average pack volume per it's size, and the J1 is bigger than most people give it credit for. If you pack cleanly and it fits, well then...it fits.

Yes, it's outside the ideal canopy sizing for the rig, but I don't think you'll run into much in the way of problems with it. I haven't.

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."