champu

Box For an HC5 w/ Hypeye D-Pro in Place

Thanks Saskia,

I knew I was forgetting one of the boxes out there when I made the poll, but sounds like it's out the race anyway.

Do you have any photos looking straight down into the open box with and without a camera in it? I feel like this would be one of the most helpful views but manufacturers love putting up only isometric views on their websites (an almost useless perspective for judging clearances.)

This request for top down photos goes to anyone who might have the other boxes too.

The half moon port on the HC5 is located on the lower side edge of the camera, below the fold out screen. The center of the port is 55mm from the back of the camera (not including a high capacity battery), 9mm from the bottom of the camera, and it's 12mm from the face of the panel that the connector is flush mounted with to the edge of the envelope of the camera (i.e. the connector can stick out from the plug 12mm before it sticks out farther than the closed screen)

Trunk has great dimensions on his site for the control button housing, but I'm not sure how much clearance the d-connector requires. Having seen one but never measured it I know it's "taller" than most 2.5mm mini-plugs used for LANC.

That is what I thought regarding the HC-5.

The question is would a Tonfly box work with a Hypeye D pro and an HC-3 which has the D-port in the rear of the the camera?

I am currently using lots of gaffers tape to hold the D plug in place and I am thinking about going back to a box. The problem with the HC-3 is the socket is 180 off from the hypeye plug so you have to bring the cable down from the top instead of directly up from the helmet.

The Cameye is no longer an option since the plug broke off inside the lanc port.
Onward and Upward!

I have 2 HC5 BoneHead boxes, each on a different helmet. One I can run the D plug and the other I cant. The one with the D plug I made a cut out the size of the fold down port cover and I can directly plug in. The other I just run a Mini indicator connector through a small hole in the lower base of the box. I will try and take a pic and post it later..

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

Would a Tonfly box work with the HC-3 which has the D-port in the back?

Sure, it's just the lower left side that has the metal.

Without having to modify/cut the box or need tape to hold the plug in place? The Hypeye plug sticks out almost an inch from the back of the camera.
Onward and Upward!

Would a Tonfly box work with the HC-3 which has the D-port in the back?

Sure, it's just the lower left side that has the metal.

Without having to modify/cut the box or need tape to hold the plug in place? The Hypeye plug sticks out almost an inch from the back of the camera.

I sold my HC5, got a box left for sale, but no HC3 here to check, haven't even seen one close enough to remember where the A/V port is...
If the HC3 is shorter than the HC5 you'll have room (the box fits about flush with the back of a HC5), and tot the right of the HC5 there is a lot of room (:S), otherwise you'll have to cut out the box.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I sold my HC5, got a box left for sale, but no HC3 here to check, haven't even seen one close enough to remember where the A/V port is...

Here are pics, it is in the rear of the camera just below the view finder on the right.

Do you think this would fit in your Tonfly box?
Onward and Upward!

According to Sony the HC3 is 5mm longer and 4 mm shorter than the HC5, the width is the same.

I am sure that all the boxes available for tape based HD cameras were designed for the cameye with the lanc on the side. Not likely they will change the design for cameras no longer in production.

At any rate if I want to go back to a box it looks like I would have to modify it to work with the Hypeye and still have to use tape to hold the plug in place during freefall.

I have to say I like the looks of the Tonfly box the best, it would be nice to see some pics of the back of the box. The pictures on their website show a box with the HC3 from the front and the side but not the back.
Onward and Upward!

I am sure that all the boxes available for tape based HD cameras were designed for the cameye with the lanc on the side. Not likely they will change the design for cameras no longer in production.

Ho hum... You're definitely right. Doesn't look like I'm going to have much luck...

I may be reevaluating my plans anyway. The more I think about how much this helmet (my second camera rig) is going to end up costing, the less of a big deal 4-500 bucks for a CX100 seems. And it would cut the overall width quite a bit.