cphelan

Adapter Rings

Just a warning to those who haven't thought of this. I certainly didn't think of it and it ended up ruining all my videos for the MOAB boogie. I am using a cx-100 and a Raynox 3030 lens. I had the 37-30 mm PLASTIC adapter ring that the Raynox 3030 lens provides with it. The first jump of the Boogie we were getting geared up and I happened to bump my knee on the side of lens breaking it from the camera. When I looked at it closer the PLASTIC adapter ring was the piece that broke. Luckily the nothing happened to the lens... PPHHEWW! So my advice is to get a METAL adapter ring. Another one of the jumpers at the boogie has the same setup but uses the Metal adapter ring provided with his the century lens.

I agree.
Others make the claim that metal rings will rip the threads from their camera. I've yet to see one in MotoX or skydiving. I've seen metal rings rip from the camera, but no damage to the camera. They're just not that strong, nor that many threads. Most adapter rings are still very cheap aluminum. Only a couple of manufacturers provide solid quality/thicker aluminum rings (Century is one of the few). Aluminum doesn't break down with weather and sunlight either.
YMMV. both can have issues.

I agree.
Others make the claim that metal rings will rip the threads from their camera. I've yet to see one in MotoX or skydiving. I've seen metal rings rip from the camera, but no damage to the camera. They're just not that strong, nor that many threads. Most adapter rings are still very cheap aluminum. Only a couple of manufacturers provide solid quality/thicker aluminum rings (Century is one of the few). Aluminum doesn't break down with weather and sunlight either.
YMMV. both can have issues.

Additionally, as noted in the recent CX-100 cage discussion, HD video cameras have become fairly inexpensive. With the CX-100 going for $388-ish and HD lenses being $100 or more (depending on how much of a picky vidiot you are...[cough][cough]babydeath[cough][hack])...well hell, it's almost to the point where it makes financial sense to not sacrifice the lens in hopes of saving the camera.

Not saying we're there yet, pricewise. But it seems like it's getting a lot more reasonable to think that way, especially when you consider the anecdotal evidence of you having never seen the threads ripped from a camera.
Signatures are the new black.