Bill_K

laptop specs - for running/editing with Vegas 9

What think ye fellow video editors of these specs? Going to buy a new laptop and have something spec'd out. Already know and use Vegas and plan to stick with it. So this question is purely about what do you other guys who use Vegas on a regular basis think.

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Extreme Mobile Processor QX9300 (2.53Ghz, 12MB L2 Cache, 1066MHz FSB) (Quad Core)

8GB DDR3 System Memory

640GB 7200RPM SATA Dual Hard Drive (320GB x 2) - I already have and use external drives for my perm storage. These would just be for editing and rendering. Finished products get stored externally.

Vista 64 Bit, which will get tweaked on quite a bit to get as much out of it as I can. I'd rather have XP, but I don't have it and don't want to spend the $$ to get it.

Thoughts?

Get Win7 instead of vista. Much lower resource hog.

That's a great idea however it hasn't actually been released yet... :P

he should however be able to upgrade to Win 7 when it is released if he buys a new computer soon... ;)
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Get Win7 instead of vista. Much lower resource hog.

That's a great idea however it hasn't actually been released yet... :P

he should however be able to upgrade to Win 7 when it is released if he buys a new computer soon... ;)

I hit the submit button on the order last night. Part of the package was a free upgrade to 7 when it comes out. :)

You can download Windows 7 Release candidate for free until the 20th. RTM is out if you've got connections. There was an offer to pre-order the final version for half price, but it may have expired. Both 32 and 64 bit versions are available.
I've been using the release canidate and beta versions for a few months on all my computers. Even in beta it has far fewer bugs than vista.

Are you running Vegas and related programs on Windows 7? Any issues? I can tweak the crap out of Vista and get the performance up. I'm a little hesitant to put 7 on a brand new system until there is a little more stable product on the market as well as vendor support from companies like Sony for Vegas and Cinescore, etc.