TitaniumLegs

Is the Shumacher camera plate supposed to be threaded?

Hey gang
Just got a Shumacher quick release and the camera mount hole is threaded. I can't get the camera secured properly. My other plates (Stroboframe and tripod stuff) are not threaded on the plate.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this plate built wrong? :S

Peter

(>o|-<

If you don't believe me, ask me.

Good question...I'm still confused why they did that. I drilled the threads out on mine, mounted my XTi on it, then realized that I couldn't remove the battery without removing the plate.
I couldn't return it because I drilled the threads out. So, I ended up cutting the plate to access the battery.
I thought I must've done something wrong, but I really don't see anyone else with a schumacher.
For the same price you could get another mounting plate that will allow you to remove the battery with the plate mounted on the camera.

I assume you are talking about the center hole in the QR plate of the Schumacher mount... and I would guess that the hole is threaded at 1/4-20.

there are a couple of options that might work if you don't want to drill out the hole.

if you have access to a lathe you can turn a 1/4-20 screw to make something like this (http://reallyrightstuff.com/rrs/Itemdesc.asp?ic=B101&eq=&Tp=)

An alternative I have seen with some success using a skysystems QR plate (which also has the center screw threaded) you can use a fully threaded 1/4-20 bolt with an allen head inset into the bolt... (I bought a couple at home depot a few years ago) this works because you can adjust the ammount of threading that is above the surface thus providing a method to adjust the direction the camera is pointing.

Scott
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

It's threaded so the screw doesn't fall out. If you look at the screw, it's lathed towards the top to remove the threads. Once its in there then screw it into your camera.

I'll request Terry to put that in the instructions.

Blue Ones,
Trunk
HYPOXIC

I figured it was supposed to be, but it's not lathed enough. When you put the screw in all the way, it's tight and doesn't turn freely. The threads are still engaged.

A pro friend of mine helped me out. We basically cranked the screw all the way into the plate, and overtightened a little and worked it until it loosened up. Probably stripped the threads, but it works and doesn't fall out.

Thanks for all the help!

(>o|-<

If you don't believe me, ask me.

Ok, here is the deal. The worst thing that can happen is when you get to the DZ you notice the Tripod bolt is missing. To help with this, this is what I have done. The plate is threaded in 3 locations. The thickess is .062, the grove in the 1/4 x 20 bolt is .050. When you assemble the QuickShoe screw the bolt into the plate untill you feel resistance. Now keep forcing the bolt untill it starts to rotate free. What has happened is the last thread on the plate has stripped, now the bolt will n

ever fall out. Now place your camera on the bolt, square up the pointing direction and tighten. The other holes are for any Video Camera. It holds a dog Bolt so the Video camera will not rotate. Hope this helps. PS I have a new e mail, it is [email protected]. Blue Skies, Terry Schumacher