freefalle

how about the canon 50D

I have a 50D. Can't compare it because I don't have a 500D, but my guess is the 500D will be a better choice for skydiving. I don't think there will be any difference in picture quality since they share the same sensor. The 50D will have some advantages, but it's considerably bigger and heavier. It's got a higher frame rate, metal body, bigger grip, higher flash sync speed, etc.

The 50D uses a different plug type for the tongue/bite switch. My $75 tongue switch started to fail on me around jump #3, but always worked with a little prodding. Had it working fine on the ground last sunday so I went up for a tandem video with it. Switch completely failed in the plane, so I had to take pictures by hand. Not so happy about that. Luckily I still have my XTi as a backup and the other tongue switch still installed on my helmet too, so switching cameras was no big deal. But of course the DZ gear store doesn't stock the digital plug tongue switch, and I've only found it at paragear which is not my favorite place to shop.

The camera is great though!

Dave

Dave, if you want to make it easier on you since you have the need for a digital plug and the stereo one I'd get one or two of these from ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/Remote-Cord-Shutter-for-Canon-EOS-5D-30D-20D-RS-80N3_W0QQitemZ120396649062QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Photography_DigitalCamAccess_RL?hash=item120396649062&_trksid=p3286.m63.l1177 It is the digital plug but its got a stereo plug on the side that you can plug your 2.5mm switches into and use them to fire the camera.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

imho 40d is the same and much cheaper
50d is 15Mpix and 40d is 10Mpix which is more or less the same with picture quality

also - you do not want larger file size when working
I use medium quality jpg with tandems - downloads are faster

https://www.facebook.com/1skydive/

Shot my first tandem video with the 50D last sunday, and I'll agree about the file sizes. I was shooting by hand because the tongue switch failed, and I wasn't quite sure what I was getting, so I held the button down a lot. At over 6 frames per second of 15 megapixel pictures, I had to make a lot of cuts and downsize them a little to fit on a CD. Still gave him 130 pics or so (not all freefall), but it was a bit ridiculous.

But I think it'd be a LITTLE crazy to buy a 40D just for tandems. If that's all you do, go with a rebel series camera. If you're going to use it on the ground a lot, the 50D is a slightly better camera than the 40D (although thats debatable) but the 40D is definitely more bang for the buck and easier to live with due to the smaller files. The 50D files make my computer cry... especially when I try raw.

Dave

But I think it'd be a LITTLE crazy to buy a 40D just for tandems. If that's all you do, go with a rebel series camera. If you're going to use it on the ground a lot, the 50D is a slightly better camera than the 40D (although thats debatable) but the 40D is definitely more bang for the buck and easier to live with due to the smaller files. The 50D files make my computer cry... especially when I try raw.

Dave

Dave I agree the 40D might be more bang for the buck.. but when it comes to cameras, I honestly believe that you should buy the best camera you can afford / justify. 10megapixels vs. 15 megapixels is a big difference in image quality. If I bought a new camera right now I'd buy the 50D over the 40D (actually... I'd get the 5D MK II )

The comment regarding a "jumping camera" I would seriously get a Rebel series for shooting tandems for the simple reason of weight..

yea the 5d mkii is a great camera, I'd love to own one but at that price its tough to afford. I'm looking to do more with my photography than skydiving, I've started doing more portrait work and I'm doing a wedding soon. That's why I'm considering the 50D I think I'm going to pick one up and get some new lenses.

...10megapixels vs. 15 megapixels is a big difference in image quality....

I agree on the general principal of buying the best camera you can for the given job. However, I disagree that the 5 megapixel bump is a "big difference in image quality." It only represents a 22 percent increase in resolution in any given dimension, and many feel it reaches this at the cost of noise, and at the limits of what many lenses can deliver anyway at the small APS-C sized sensors used in both these cameras. Here's an interesting quote from a review of the 50D on dpreview.com:

Having said that, in terms of per-pixel sharpness the 50D cannot quite keep up with the better 10 or 12 megapixel APS-C DSLRs in the market. At higher sensitivities the smaller photosites are clearly producing more noise (as shown from our RAW comparisons) and so Canon is having to apply more noise reduction to keep to acceptable noise levels, this of course means a loss of detail from ISO 1600 upwards.

It appears that Canon has reached the limit of what is sensible, in terms of megapixels on an APS-C sensor. At a pixel density of 4.5 MP/cm² (40D: 3.1 MP/cm², 1Ds MkIII: 2.4 MP/cm²) the lens becomes the limiting factor. Even the sharpest primes at optimal apertures cannot (at least away from the center of the frame) satisfy the 15.1 megapixel sensors hunger for resolution.

It appears that Canon has reached the limit of what is sensible, in terms of megapixels on an APS-C sensor. At a pixel density of 4.5 MP/cm² (40D: 3.1 MP/cm², 1Ds MkIII: 2.4 MP/cm²) the lens becomes the limiting factor. Even the sharpest primes at optimal apertures cannot (at least away from the center of the frame) satisfy the 15.1 megapixel sensors hunger for resolution.

Sweet.. so what you're telling me is I should go for a 5D Mk II instead.. B|

I'm very happy with my 40D, and I definately will not upgrade to the 50D, the "upgrade" is not worth it money wise, but I am considering the 5D very seriously right now.

The 5dm2 can also shoot sRAW1 (10megapix) and sRAW2 (5megapix), so you dont necessarily have to work with the huge fullRAW filesizes.

But I thought SIZE mattered? :P

Bigger sensor, more megapixels, larger files..

If I was using the the 5D MII for "party shots" I would shoot probably medium resolution jpg, but for anything where I want quality shots, the more resolution the better I think, I'd shoot full res RAW, even though the files are ridiculously large..

If I was using the the 5D MII for "party shots" I would shoot probably medium resolution jpg, but for anything where I want quality shots, the more resolution the better I think, I'd shoot full res RAW, even though the files are ridiculously large..

I think you might be right, but not because having more megapix it self makes the Image quality better. It could be that 21Mpix is benefitial in some situations. I dont know really. This is very complicated actually.

The way how I have understood this is that actually there is no detail being lost when shooting sRAW1 since it utilizes the same amount of sensor photosites but it doesnt add any/as much Bayer Interpolation as the cameras prosessor would when shooting RAW. (in order to understand this you need to undestand what bayer interpolation is.) What makes it more complicated however is that does it anyhow yield a better result when resizing the RAW to the size of sRAW1 with smarter sharpening algorithms by using a separate darkroom program.

Im not really motivated to look into this in detail since I dont have the camera my self.. There are some tests, facts/opinions on the net if anyone is interested.

some links:
http://photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00SfpK

http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/5d-mk-ii.htm see under usage.

Size does matter, just ask any pro....but there is a point of diminishing returns.
This week, I attended a course taught by Canon for film pros, regarding using the 5mkII and was suitably impressed.
My friends at RedRock Micro won an award for a film one of their guys made using the 5D, and the prototype RRM tools for mounting the 5D.
Scotty Burns and Trunk were here to see some of the very cool filmmaking accessories for the 5MKII, and RED was red in the face for the 5D and their current vaporware known as Scarlet.
For video, there are some significant challenges with the 5MKII, but they're beatable in post if you're willing to take the time. It's a high end perspective to be sure, and I'd never consider this cam for shooting video tandem. But...
Canon also lifted their skirts just a little bit in the filmmakers gathering, and I'm pretty excited about what's coming down the pike.
So...
I have a 40D and a 5D, but wish I hadn't bought the 5. Very content to wait until January for what's new, but if I needed a camera for tandems right now, today...I'd buy a 50d or a used 40.

Canon also lifted their skirts just a little bit in the filmmakers gathering, and I'm pretty excited about what's coming down the pike.
So . . .
Very content to wait until January for what's new . . .

Don't leave us hanging, what is it? :)