BMFin

Below/Above Tandem (was "Camera Suit or Not)

Being under a Tandem is a very dangerous place to be.

But I would like to have your opinion on something (especially from the more experienced folks here).

Let's just say you want to take photos from below the tandem. Being directly under the tandem is, without controversy, very dangerous (TD-premature, burble etc.).

Would this still be the case if the photographer would be, let's say 45feet below the tandem?

This doesn't resolve the danger of a premature of the photographer's canopy. But wouldn't it be enough room to have time to react in case of a TD-premature (trap-door), respectively the burble wouldn't have any greater effect on the TD?

I know that the angle for the picture/video may not be the best. This is just a theoretical question.

Thank you.

I'm going to make my comments regarding the discussion in the 'post your best shot" thread here since it makes more sense here...

I agree with Laszlo regarding the experience needed to do tandems... and what you should learn before jumping with them.

It's important to understand how your cameras function and how to make them work for you in freefall before even considering jumping with tandems.

That's why it's important to develop you skills by jumping with RW groups... and especially flying on level with them... (in my opinion)

and although I don't think it is necessary to have a tandem rating in order to jump with a tandem it is important to have some understanding of the equipment they are using because it's a lot different then what we use... so talking to TI's and developing a solid understanding of what can and does happen (where to be and where not to be) is critical to jumping with tandems safely.

Scott
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Premature deployment is very very small risk with modern freefly friendly gear.

It's still a risk, and no one has the right to subject a student to an added risk.

Adding a photographer is an added risk to the tandem, still we do it..

This is just a theoretical question.

Thank you.

There are no theoretical questions. If you can think of it, someone is going to, or has already tried/done it.
In spite of thousands of experienced jumps saying "we recommend you not do this or that," the advice will be ignored, people will be at higher risk, and at some point, someone will be injured or worse.

You want some of the most qualified advice in the world on jumping with tandems, follow the Mike McGowan school of thought. No one, no group, no organization has shot more tandems than Mike's.
To my knowledge, there has never been an incident under his command.

Premature deployment is very very small risk with modern freefly friendly gear.

It's still a risk, and no one has the right to subject a student to an added risk.

Adding a photographer is an added risk to the tandem, still we do it..

It's a risk that has been mitigated by some rules, and approved of by the manufacturer and rating organizations only when those rules are followed.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.