mnskydiver688

Mounting Hypeye in MXV

I saw a photo on here of a Hypeye mounted in an MXV and was a bit taken a back. The hole for the switch had been drilled out to the size of the base of the switch. This seemed a bit drastic considering the diameter of the button portion itself is much smaller. Is it ok to have that large hole drilled in the helmet and if not is it possible to mount it so a hole the size of the button is all thats needed?
Sky Canyon Wingsuiters

There are a number of ways to mount it. If you buy a hypeye from cookie with the helmet I believe they will predrill and mount the hypeye free of charge. If you wish to do it yourself you can:

1) Mount it underneath by cutting with a dremel or increasing drill sizes until you get a 15mm hole and pushing the button through it. I use a dab of hot glue on the back side to completely secure it.

2) Cut a hole slightly smaller than the size of the base like cookie does. See the picture.

3) Drill a 3.5mm hole and use the included M3 screw to attach it to the top of the helmet like in the picture. I like this option since its easy to connect to the debrief port.

Thanks to Benjamin Forde for shooting and cleaning up this photo of my camera helmet... That boy is good :-D

-Trunk
HYPOXIC

Probably, but these helmets aren't your normal DOT (or similar) certified anyway. Even though that hole was cut by cookie, remember that there is no expressed protection that any manufacturer provides. We can have a long conversation about what these helmets are meant to do. But in the end it may save you or it may actually lead to your death.

Carbon fiber is some really strong stuff and have seen two cases where a helmet has saved someone's life. By having cameras, hypeye's, and/or ringsights mounted you do change the the characteristics of the helmet and make it less for protection and more likely that it itself will kill you. This is something we tend to forget but it should not be taken lightly. Ringsights have been known to be eye scoops, cameras have lodged into people's skulls on bad hooks... The truth is what you do to your helmet and how you mount the cameras and accessories is ultimately up to you...
HYPOXIC

I understand that these are not certified and do not imply any serious protection. I was asking because if there was a way to mount it in such a way that it is flush with the outside of the helmet, but doesn't affect the structural integrity much. I guess I am interested in the longevity of the helmet. Issues with cracking under normal usage and such. I have a fiberglass hurricane and it is cracking around the chip strap mounts. So I just want to make sure I get the most life out of the helmet.
Sky Canyon Wingsuiters

I would try to coat the cut with clear nail polish or some other clear coat to prevent it from chipping. I believe Schumacher recommends clear silicon around the nylon screws of a ringsight mount, but think that will not work something the size of a Hypeye.
HYPOXIC