DSE

More YouTube/Copyright discussion

Freely downloadable does not necessarily mean copyright free.

I expected there to be some issues with "for hire" usage and the like. But I thought there might be some more leeway for things like personal YouTube mixes.

I really don't see how the record companies are going to deal with this in the years to come. I mean, how do they deal with a mash up of a mash up etc.?

Facebook is also now taking down videos that get identified as having "copyrighted material owned by a third party".

Hello,

We have removed your video uploaded at 10:49am March 18th, 2009. We did this because it appears to contain copyrighted material owned by a third party, such as a video clip or background audio. If you believe this material was removed by mistake, you may file a counter notice of alleged infringement by following the link below.

Please note that if you re-upload this video without filing a counter notice, or if you upload another video that infringes on the rights of a third party, we may remove the content. This could cause your access to the Facebook Video application, or your Facebook account itself, to be disabled.

SkydiveAllegan.com

I expected there to be some issues with "for hire" usage and the like. But I thought there might be some more leeway for things like personal YouTube mixes.

I really don't see how the record companies are going to deal with this in the years to come. I mean, how do they deal with a mash up of a mash up etc.?

They'll get screwed. They'll fight a good battle, but they can't beat the technology. The smart ones will adapt and find new ways to gather revenue. The not-so smart ones will fold and go away.

I find no fault with You Tube at all. They're only covering their own ass. Willful, contributory infringement is a bitch. Record companies will go after the deepest pockets possible - and Google has some pretty deep pockets.

I don't think it's as much a matter of copyright as it is a matter of licensing. There should be no problem, for example, in using copyrighted music as long as you license to use/mix it permits you to distribute it via YouTube. There's a lot of good Creative Commons stuff out there that can be used this way.