beagleluvr

taping a camera lens still?

That totally depends on which exact lens it is and also on what your goal is for any particular jump.

If it's a fixed focal lens, usually you can jump autofocus just fine and do not have to tape anything. For a zoom, tape/rubber band the zoom ring (if you use tape be sure to use the real gaffer tape, do not use ducktape or similar), most zooms used for skydiving (kitlenses) are slow to autofocus so you may want to use manual focus and tape the focusring up too, however if you have a better lens autofocus may work fine.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

The lens is taped to prevent accidental movement of the zoom, and in some cases, focus as well.
You're better off using a tandem stow band; it won't leave residue or attract dirt into the barrel.

I like the rubber band because it's reusable, you can use the zoom and auto focus without having to run to your gear bag for more tape.

I've noticed that my auto-focus can't always decide what to focus on, so it won't let me take a picture. I have that happen on the ground, so it's surely going to happen in the air sometime. I've also picked up a speck of dirt on my lens when climbing out of the plane that was big enough for the auto focus of my video camera to focus on, it completely ruined the video. That was on a fun jump so it didn't really matter, but I can't have something like that happen on a work jump.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

depends on lens (usually price)
canon kit lens 18-55 I taped and set to manual using hyperfocal distance settings
10-22 I do not tape, it works with autofocus
and after deployment I set zoom from 10 to 22 to take pictures under canopy

https://www.facebook.com/1skydive/

The lens is taped to prevent accidental movement of the zoom, and in some cases, focus as well.
You're better off using a tandem stow band; it won't leave residue or attract dirt into the barrel.

I prefer a rubber band as well... I don't want tape on my lenses...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Here's a side view of mine. I normally would have it centered a little better between the two rings, but I've actually been using the lens for non skydiving stuff lately.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.