Dave1960

SkySystems Vapor

I highly recommend the larger top over the narrow!
The narrow will leave you stuck if or "when" you decide to add more to the top of your helmet. The narrow top leaves you with "one"option of mounting a video only on top . You will not be able to mount video and a still on top, which is what i would recommend. Video and still on top is the best weight balance when you are ready for both.
If your still camera is top mounted you will have access to all the controls and functions of the camera .If it is front mounted you won't have access to anything on the back of it.
The larger top will be easy to sell if you decide to sell it, the narrow won't be so easy.

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

My preference is the narrow with a video on top and a still in the front. I love the balance and it is what I am used to. Of course, some day I might want to throw more on top and if that happens, I’ll just buy another helmet. I looked at a Vapor last week and it looked great, although I have a couple of Headhunter Voodoos that I prefer to fly with. To each his own.:ph34r:

The Vapor is the best fitting camera helmet I've jumped to date. And I agree with most of the others here, you'll want the extra space....

I'm really happy now that I've moved everything back to the top, much kinder on my neck.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

The narrow top leaves you with "one"option of mounting a video only on top . You will not be able to mount video and a still on top, which is what i would recommend.

:|WRONG.

...have you thought about mounting the still camera vertically? You can have both a still camera AND Video camera (PC models, or HC3/HC5, etc)TOP mounted on a Vapor narrow. This becomes even easier if you're looking at getting one of the new CX100s as Shane (NextGenSkydiver) mentioned.

Personally I find your camera/camera plate set up to be rather frightening...:o. Seriously, I really think there are much more efficient ways to mount things. Does a larger plate allow for more mounting surface area? Absolutely! Would one need acreage on the top of their noggin to mount the toys? Not necessarily.

I've attached pics of my set up showing the vertical stills (Canon Xt, 15 mm Fish Eye), with flash (Canon 580EX), and video camera (was an HC3 at the time, currently an HC5, but very soon to be a CX100), as well as a pic showing a Vapor Narrow with a vertical stills/HC5 top (NOT front) mounted.

Please be careful when handing out advice with absolute terms, because there's never just "one" option. :)
Cheers!

--Jairo
Low Profile, snag free helmet mount for your Sony X3000 action cam!

Thats nice but over priced .Wes wanted 1100.00 to do nothing but the mounting like yours and he didn't give me the option to turn the still camera horizontal. I shoot everything horizontal on my tandems and aff. How much do you have wrapped up in your setup there minus camera's? I think the ccm mount is very top heavy due to everything being so tall. My helmet is well balanced believe it or not. I have put together multiple setups over the years and i love this one best of all. At 1st i was hesitant to make an over sized plate ,but after it was finished i thought it was great. Measuring the over hang isn't as wide as any of the side mount video camera's i have had. Plate is 10.5 wide.

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

I have a narrow, like jairo mentioned and both my xsi and hc5 fit on the top very comfortable and have about 100 jumps on it and no risers snagging on it at all. I will put a lot of money on that my helmet setup is cheaper then yours and its the same jairo has. Just aluminum instead of carbon fiber plates. Just because the still is mounted vertical does not mean it will cost more.

Still being mounted vertical has nothing to do with the cost of a rimworld mount. Check for yourself. www.rimworldvideo.com

I don't have problems with riser strike.

:D Well, arrows are better than Q-Tips...:D:P (right Eric?)

The cost of a CCM has nothing to do with the topic at hand. Please re-read my post... it was in reply to you telling the original poster that:

The narrow top leaves you with "one"option of mounting a video only on top . You will not be able to mount video and a still on top, which is what i would recommend.

I simply said posted my helmet to show one of MANY mounting options, to show you don't need a kitchen counter on your head to mount what you will need for MOST applications. I also included a pic of a Vapor Narrow to show that it can also be done with one.

Furthermore, just like I'm quite surprised you don't have an issue with riser slap (your risers must be quite a bit further apart on your rig than on mine), you'd be surprised that the set-up(s) shown are not top-heavy at all. My helmet, with EVERYTHING mounted, including all lenses, cables, & batteries weighs 8.0 lbs and is very nicely balanced. I shoot 90% vertical stills, by preference, not by limited mounting options ...so when I MUST have horizontal stills for whatever reason, I just mount the camera horizontally :)
Cheers!

--Jairo
Low Profile, snag free helmet mount for your Sony X3000 action cam!

Do you mount the still horizontally on the top with access to all functions and viewer?
I also use a sennheiser audio system, and a speed cycler for my flash unit. It is inside my suit with the cable quick release on the back side of the helmet should i need to cut away.

Thanks to everyone for the input. I hear what you're saying about bigger is better, but I don't think i would add anything more than the still camera (which I was thinking I would mount on the front of the helmet), and possibly a flash for the still camera.It looks like I could fit the flash on top of the Vapor Narrow next to that new Sony cx100, no? My reason for the front mount is wanting to stay as far from the risers as possible. Is the weight balance that much worse with the still camera mounted to the front of the helmet? It would be either the canon xt or the 40D. I relly like my 40D but it is a good bit heavier than the XT.

Depending on the lens your shooting ? The 40 d is much heavier than the xt. I used to jump front mount and the difference in weight transfer is huge IMO . Besides that you won't have the ability to access your functions or viewer. For example when your inside the plane taking shots it makes it so much easier to see what your shooting without the headache of dismounting your camera to make sure you had the proper exposure and such. I shoot full manual all the time and always change settings quite a bit.

but I don't think i would add anything more than the still camera (which I was thinking I would mount on the front of the helmet), and possibly a flash for the still camera.

Enough reason in my mind to go with the full-size lid. Particularly if you're looking at the 40D. That, a flash and a video camera is a lot of stuff, and I just don't see a down side to going with the wider mount.

Is the weight balance that much worse with the still camera mounted to the front of the helmet?

Yes. I am currently moving all my stuff to the top of a new Vapor. Forehead-mounted cams (I have a 20D, similar weight to a 40D) definitely get your attention on opening.