markovwgti

Final Cut Express 4

Besides I think you have to click the "Toggle Clip Overlays" button, it is down on the left corner

Or you can do it in the audio tabs in the viewer window while viewing the clip you are editing (see attached). I find I can get a little more precise edit points and levels this way.

Edited to add: I just realized you were asking about FC Express. The above works on Final Cut Pro 6, but I haven't really worked with the Express version.

Express traditionally has most of the cool features of pro and the keyframes method is available to adjust audio.

The big drawback of express vs pro is that it doesn't import and export and share with 3rd party programs in all of the various formats as pro does. You really need reference resources ( books, tutorials, classes) to see what all FCE does that the manual doesn't even cover. Someone familair with pro would have an easier time using express than someone with an express manual alone.