ozzy13

Software for editing

I know DSE likes Vegas pro. What does everyone else think?

To be used with a laptop and mini DV tapes for Tandems

I've been using Vegas Movie Studio Platinum Edition for the past year or so... and like it...

When I've asked DSE whether Vegas Pro was necessary he has suggested that Movie Studio is more then enough for skydiving stuff.
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

OK thanks I just wanted to see what was out there. I have Platinum 8 And I'm going to upgrade to 9 Pro. I find that Window movie maker to be the easiest to use when doing basic editing. Vegas is a little more difficult to use.

Also the laptop i ordered has Vista ultimate 64 bit and the vegas is 32 bit. They say it will work.
Never give the gates up and always trust your rears!

OK thanks I just wanted to see what was out there. I have Platinum 8 And I'm going to upgrade to 9 Pro. I find that Window movie maker to be the easiest to use when doing basic editing. Vegas is a little more difficult to use.

Also the laptop i ordered has Vista ultimate 64 bit and the vegas is 32 bit. They say it will work.

That should work just fine... I'm running Vista 64 bit Home Premium and upgraded to Vegas Movied Studio Platinum 9 last fall... I like that I can create Bluray compatible DVDs...

I also started playing with Acid Loops last fall so the music on my videos was legal to distribute.

http://www.scottgunstills.com/gallery/6568056_5mkzk/1/420081363_aEecH

Edited to add: I first learned how to edit on Windows Movie Maker (in XP) then moved on to Adobe Premier (CS2), and have in the last couple of years used Sony Vegas (our DZ has been using Vegas 6.0 since it opened a year and a half ago... I'm hoping he'll upgrade this year to a newer version of Vegas)...

I like vegas the best of the three that I've used...

I have vegas pro and would rather downgrade to movie studio. I don't use any features that only come with pro. I thought scripting would be great, but it turns out to be much more of a project than I'm interested in taking on. And DVD burning is a bit more difficult in pro. I'm sure pro is better for pros, but that's not me.

Dave

I have vegas pro and would rather downgrade to movie studio. I don't use any features that only come with pro. I thought scripting would be great, but it turns out to be much more of a project than I'm interested in taking on.
Dave

Writing scripts is a BIG deal, requires VB and Java knowledge. USING scripts is a HUGE deal, and is a one-button operation, usually. There are about 500 free scripts, and about half a dozen purchasable scripts, all of which are monster time and effort savers.
Can you detail more about how you didn't/don't find scripting to be of use to you? I can't imagine a day with out it. Even Apple and Premiere are moving in this direction now, after Sony's offered it for 5 years.

I don't use any scripts, so I don't know what I'm missing. :)
I just wish scripts could be created more like macros in excel or whatever. I can handle VBA... when I have something to start with. Starting from scratch in a programming language I have never used is another story.

But basically I don't know what I want a script to do. I played around with some downloaded scripts, but I had a lot of trouble finding much information online to get started.

The fact that there are only ~500 free scripts and ~6 purchasable scripts after Sony been offering that feature for 5 years just shows how little the feature is used. And it means there aren't 1000 tutorials online like there are for more common applications.

I think you told me a while back that you had a staff to create scripts for you. It's a major project and I quickly gave up when I realized I was standing at the bottom of a very steep learning curve.

Trust me, I want to be able to edit a tandem video in 2 minutes. I spend way too much time on editing, rendering, and burning the DVD to do it regularly.

I'd love to see a video of you editing a tandem video in vegas, from start to finish in real time. It probably takes my computer longer to open vegas than for you to finish your edit. When you come out with "tandem videos in under 10 minutes" DVD, I'll buy it.

Dave

When you come out with "tandem videos in under 10 minutes" DVD, I'll buy it.

Dave

You coming to PIA? :D
Seriously.
We're releasing four new DVD products at PIA, and without saying much more...this subject is one of them.
We'll lift the embargo on information shortly, but the questions in this forum were heavily used in determining what folks want/need to know.

re: scripting...
My staff writes em', but we sell em' to the public.
The scripts don't look like scripts, they look like applications in most cases. For example, attached is a screenshot of DVD Prep, a freeware script that is a "press it and forget it" and it'll format, encode your timeline to MPEG 2 and AC3, into the same folder with the same name.

Thousands of people use scripts, they just look like plugins. DVD Prep is a script, like Ultimate S or similar "scripts", but they're actually called "plugins." Very different than macros.
HTH?

Nope on PIA. Would love to though.

Trying out DVD Prep right now... Seems to work great. You told me about it last summer when I asked why the heck I need to render video and audio separately, but I totally forgot about it. Thanks!

Looking forward to your new DVDs!

But I still couldn't write a complex script on my own...

Dave

There isn't a "Pro 9"
There is a Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 9 that isn't very old, and there is Vegas Pro 8 that was released back in May.
Either/both require a key, like most software.
Key would be on your owners manual/on a card in the box. If you downloaded, then you rec'd a key in the email when you bought it.

Final Cut Pro/Express are both great programs, although I've got to admit, I'm really liking the new Premiere, and I don't have to re-think anything when going from old Premiere on PC side to new Premiere on Mac side....
But that said, neither of them are any good if speed is your need.

There isn't a "Pro 9"
There is a Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 9 that isn't very old, and there is Vegas Pro 8 that was released back in May.
Key would be on your owners manual/on a card in the box. If you downloaded, then you rec'd a key in the email when you bought it.

Vegas Movie Studio 9 Platinum Pro Pack
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/moviestudiopp

it wont let me get to the part to enter the key. Yes I have the key

B|

im on the phone technical support now . they were not open last night
Never give the gates up and always trust your rears!

Neither edit AVCHD natively without pluggins correct?

Neither edit AVCHD natively. Even with plugins.
Apple chooses to not do MPEG decodes when they can avoid it (due to royalty cost) and so everything gets converted

There isn't a "Pro 9"

Vegas Movie Studio 9 Platinum Pro Pack
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/moviestudiopp

it wont let me get to the part to enter the key. Yes I have the key

B|

im on the phone technical support now . they were not open last night
I didn't need the extra features that the pro pac had... which is why I didn't suggest it...

I do like Acid Music Studio though... :)