BGDVRTECH

BEST SONY SD CAMERA???

HELLO all,

would love to hear from those that have any info on sd card camaras really only sony they work with the new cam eye money dose not matter just looking for the best top mount sd card camera sony has,

also i have heard about a still camera that can shoot video?? anyone know about that or am i just being stupid?

thanks Blue Skys

Sony does not make a good SD Card camera, AFAIK.
Any Sony consumer/prosumer cam will work with a HypEye, no card-based cam will work with the LANC control from the older CamEye.
No still camera also shoots quality video, and none of the video cameras currently available shoot quality stills.

No still camera also shoots quality video

He may be referring to the 5D Mk II, which shoots great video (to us mortals anyway... I know you wouldn't like it :)
And the sony cameras use memory sticks, not SD cards. If he said memory stick, would that have changed your answer? I can never tell when you're being correct vs completely wrong but technically correct. :P

Dave

-By SD card, I'm assuming he means flash mem format, regardless of whether it's SDHC, MSPD, CF, Express....they're all card formats. IMO, when someone is talking about the storage format vs speed, cost, compatibility of a card-based system, I didn't feel a need to delve into the minutiae of which card systems are supported by which manufacturer.

No...the 5DMKII does NOT shoot decent video. I've edited quite a bit of it for a trade event, and it's unusable for "real" video use. If you have a problem with OIS, you'll definitately not like the shutter shimmer of the 5DMKII. It's a really cool gimmick, but it's NOT quality video. If you have any kind of a horizontal reference in the video at all, it judders badly. If you have a moving source and no horizontal line, a non-critical eye might enjoy it, but that's about it. You're about as well off with a POS AipTek or GoPro camcorder.

To be completely technically correct and answer the OP's question, assuming he meant SD CARD vs Standard Definition card-based;
"Sony has never made an SD card-based camcorder, and never will. Sony also no longer is releasing Standard Definition camcorders in card, HDD, nor tape-based configuration."

Izzat better, Dave? Feeling picayune this morning?:P

Sony does not make a good SD Card camera

To be completely technically correct and answer the OP's question, assuming he meant SD CARD vs Standard Definition card-based;
"Sony has never made an SD card-based camcorder, and never will.

I'm still confused. The OP was clearly (or apparently not so clearly) looking for a solid state memory camera (SD card), not a standard definition camera. He wants to know what sony memory card camera to buy. We don't need to rehash the whole conversation... just answer the man. :)
And yeah, I know the answer is gonna be "do a search." :P

Dave

no card-based cam will work with the LANC control from the older CamEye.

Spot, actually they work with the adapter I build.
I built a quit few of them already and tested them all summer long. We tested this D-link/LANC adapter with the TG-1, CX-7, CX-12, my HC-3 (even if it has a LANC anyway), and other tape based Sony cameras with no LANC. They worked just fine.
One of these days I'll post a picture of this little device.

With an adapter, they do work, and of course we've had this discussion in PM; but they don't work directly with the CamEye.
FWIW, I've effectively forgotten the CamEye simply because it can't offer even a tiny bit of control by comparison to what is available in the HypEye product, but some folks are good with just start/stop and nothing more. I've gotten lazy.B|
I can't see the rationale in buying a new CamEye and then spending more for an adapter and then kludging the assembly together. I do it with my stills cam because I have to swap cameras back n' forth and I don't care for the weak link in the adapter.
But as you say...there does exist the alternative.