ReyNier

90º wingsuit filming

I think I might be missing something here.If the camera is on a 90 to start with, when a wingsuiter turns their head toward the subject, the camera will effectively be filming upside down the way you have it shown in the picture(s). You would need to flip the camera 180 from what is shown in the attached pictures to come close to achieving what you want. Even then, you will find the cameras FOV will point downward unless you cant it on about a 45 degree angle to the helmet surface.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

What he's describing is taking the horizontal aspect of the camera that becomes vertical when the head is turned to the side. Scotty, Norman, Craig, even myself have been doing this for quite a while. Wes builds custom boxes to do this for various cameras. With the Zkulls box, it's a slightly better option in that it can go both ways. It's a nice option. wouldn't mind having one myself. Beats heck on putting a Schumacher mount on a Zkulls and L-plate.

What he's describing is taking the horizontal aspect of the camera that becomes vertical when the head is turned to the side. Scotty, Norman, Craig, even myself have been doing this for quite a while. Wes builds custom boxes to do this for various cameras. With the Zkulls box, it's a slightly better option in that it can go both ways. It's a nice option. wouldn't mind having one myself. Beats heck on putting a Schumacher mount on a Zkulls and L-plate.

Yeah, I got that, I've been doing it for several years now. But the way its shown in the pictures, the camera would be filming the subject upside down. If it was flipped so that the handle side was up and not the view screen, it would come out correct. This is assuming you are filming another wingsuit on level to the camera fliers left. A straight down(over the top) shot would work in the pictured configuration but thats rather limited if you're flying 1 video camera only.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Yeah, I got that, I've been doing it for several years now. But the way its shown in the pictures, the camera would be filming the subject upside down. If it was flipped so that the handle side was up and not the view screen, it would come out correct. This is assuming you are filming another wingsuit on level to the camera fliers left. A straight down(over the top) shot would work in the pictured configuration but thats rather limited if you're flying 1 video camera only.

I suppose if you look at it that way, you're correct, but in practice, once the camera is converted from horizontal to vertical, there is no "upside down" as it has to be edited in horizontal anyway. Whether the image is tilted CCW or CW in post doesn't matter. It's not a right side or left side of the wingsuiter, it's horizontal or vertical orientation. I've seen pix of your helmet where you've got the horizontal aspect of the camera turned at an angle, but this is turning the camera entirely on its side. Again...doesn't matter which side (right or left) is up or down. It's easiest to have the display side exposed, because that grants access to the card slot. It's how mine and Scotty's cages/boxes are made, and Norman's is similar. Scotty and Norman each fly two cams and then I rotate the vert image to horizontal. Except for the exits from the aircraft, everything looks quite good/normal, just a different view.
I've attached images from the same jump/same timestamps for comparison for those that might not see the benefit of this sort of shot for wingsuiting (doesn't really apply well anywhere else).

I think I might be missing something here.If the camera is on a 90 to start with, when a wingsuiter turns their head toward the subject, the camera will effectively be filming upside down the way you have it shown in the picture(s). You would need to flip the camera 180 from what is shown in the attached pictures to come close to achieving what you want.

It depends which side of the subject you are on. With the way it is now, looking to your right the image will be upright, and looking to your left the image will be "upside down" (which as Spot pointed out, doesn't really exist). You have suggested he switch it 180 from where it is shown, which does not change anything, it just reverses the situation. Now it will be "upside down" when you look right instead.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

If I understand your comment correct, doesn't it depend if you film to the right or left? One side will always give you an upside down image. I think, the best option is then to have the screen accessable and the same time the possibility to change the camera to normal image clicked to the left side of the helmet??

Yeah, I got that, I've been doing it for several years now. But the way its shown in the pictures, the camera would be filming the subject upside down.

Then clearly you should have played with this more often in the 'several years you've been doing this':P
Its dependant of the side of your subject you are flying on.

Ive had a bracket tilted 90 degrees left, which ment a subject on my right would be framed normaly.

The bracket I had was actually ment for my stills cam, but played with a bit for wingsuit video in the beginning.
But the resulting video wasnt really on level, as my head would usually be cranked sideways at +- 45 degrees. Meanig the bracket only tilted the video 45% the other direction in most cases..

Most wingsuit video you see is shot at a 45 degree angle. Making a bracket for that amount of tilt would be a better idea..

For me personaly..Ive learnt to tilt my head in scary un-natural ways over the past few years, and usually only have 15 to 20 degrees of tilt.
Not enough to warrent using a tilted camera-setup (giving the implications for other forms of flying, and not wanting to have to adjust the setup with every jump I make)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Its dependant of the side of your subject you are flying on

Yes, everyone who has mentioned this is correct. I thought it was understood that given a 180 degree rotation in either of the directions the camera would give at least 1 upside down view when on level with another wingsuit flyer. What doesn't look right to me, is watching video that is essentially "upside down" when the person is upright (exit as Doug mentioned) or filming from the subjects right/left side (orientation dependent). With 2 video cams(like Scotty's), with one of them in this orientation, it isn't as limiting, but as pictured with only one camera, it is limited and or creates more work if you plan on rotating the footage in post. If the box could accommodate 2 cameras,1 in that orientation, then it would be the dogs bollocks as they say.

What I do think is cool about the entire concept is that the user can rotate the camera 45 degrees in a normal/typical orientation relatively quickly from straight on all the way to 180. What would be trick, is if the box/cage could be changed from the normal orientation to the pictured orientation relatively quickly/easily.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

the camera can rotate 90º, 180º, angle 10º up and down, and point backwards if used on a Zkulls attachment. See pics. I think it would not be difficult to screw a second cage (rotated 180º) to the first one to get both images if someone wants to do that but ... $$$ ... Cameras + Cages ?