BirdWoman

how to transfer 8mm to dvd

Ok so here's the deal. One of my tandem instructors has some old 8mm tapes that he wants to put onto DVD, but he doesn't have the camera anymore. I don't have one, nor does anybody we know. I know that there are companies that will do it for you but they usually charge a lot of $$$ to do it.

Does anybody have any ideas as to how this can be done for as little as possible? I have no clue other than find a cheap 8mm camera or a cheap player on ebay. Suggestions would be helpful. Thanks fellow vidiots! ;)
"I don't know where it is that I'm going, but wherever it is there I'll be!" --quoted by me

when i started shooting video the sony camcorders i used were 8mm tapes, ( actually Hi 8 ).. i still have the camcorders...
which could be used to output INto a mini dv camcorder with bypass,,, and cable OUT of the mini dv unit, and into the recording deck...

it's mostly about if one has the old components to do it...check with some of your long ago video people to see if they have such equip..
(example,,, CCD TR81, CCD TR500) ( sony)
good luck

jimmy

When I did the same thing, I borrowed a Digital8 camera from a workmate. Digital8 cameras play Video8 and Hi8 tapes, and have the advantage of a DV out. So you can just connect it to the computer and firewire the videos to your harddrive.

No.1 reason NOT to be an astronaut: ...You can't drink beer at zero gravity...

which could be used to output INto a mini dv camcorder with bypass,,, and cable OUT of the mini dv unit, and into the recording
jimmy

If the camera your using does not have the bypass (TRV22) put the camera in vcr mode without a tape and it will feed thru the firewire....
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

I agree.
I think a best and easiest option is to find a cheap or borrow a Digital8 camcorder. They're normally automatically recognize and play back both analog and digital content recorded onto an 8mm tape.
I've been doing a similar projects years ago.
It worked just fine. Tha camcorder played back HI8 video (analog) and output through the fire wire port (A/D coversion), so I could capture it without any problem.
-Laszlo-