swoop2471

camera settings...

Take a look around this forum, plenty of starting-out settings tips on here for different situations. Biggest tip of all is learn to know your camera, start with reading the manual front to back (twice) then go read a (any) good photography book.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Step 1: Autofocus
Step 2: Sports mode
Step 3: Have fun

...Step 4: Review the settings your camera chose for each picture and learn what worked and what didn't. Once you have figured out what you'd like to change, you can stop using a fully-automatic mode on the camera and choose your own settings.

Or do it the hard way and read a book and learn to use the camera before putting it on your head. Booooring. :P

Dave

Step 1: Pay for a tandem skydive
Step 2: Buy the video package
Step 3: Have fun

...Step 4: Review the pictures that the professional camera flyer took, and ask him for some serious advice. Once you have figured out that you like professional photography, you can stop paying others to do it and learn how to really use your camera.

Or, you can do what Dragon says...

Can anyone give me the best all around camera settings for the XTI, to start with anyway..? Thanks

For sunny conditions, I prefer to use Tv set at high shutter speed with autofocus, ISO 100, and no flash, in general, because I use the kit lense at 18mm and want all of the shots to be sharp with low noise under natural lighting conditions.

For the novice, I think that the basic sports mode is a good place to start, but you'll need to pay close attention to the results you get and study them if you expect to get to the point where you get consistently good results. The reality is that there is simply no such thing as "best all around camera settings" when you're talking about using a DSLR.

The quality of your results will depend greatly on your knowledge of photography principles, the conditions under which you generally like to shoot, the lenses you use, the way you fly, and your composition skills. The latter includes your ability to work in the "lab" after you actually take the pictures ;-) These factors are usually much more important than the specific settings that you use on your camera. Unless you invest the time necessary to learn all of this, you might as well just use an inexpensive "point-and-shoot" camera. You'll save a lot of time and money, and the percentage of good pictures you end up with will be the same ;-)

My settings:

Mode on Tv (shutter priority),shutter speed of 1/500 or more.

Focus manual set on one meter distance,and I put some sticky tape on the upper part of the lens so that during freefall it doesn t move out of focus.

Lens canon 15mm fisheye lens,which is AMAZING!!

I'm using a bite switch but i think i'll change to a tongue switch,as I don t feel the bite very well and i m never too sure whether i m actually shooting or not.

good luck!

Take a look around this forum, plenty of starting-out settings tips on here for different situations. Biggest tip of all is learn to know your camera, start with reading the manual front to back (twice) then go read a (any) good photography book.

It's been a hundred years since I posted here but I THINK my sigline has a good link to answer the camera questions. (maybe I changed my sig line , I dont know)
My photos

My Videos

Is there any all around setting or driving speed for a car??? Not really... You have to use all controls and all range of speed determined by the road and traffic conditions.
This is exactly the same with photography. There's no such thing like "all around setting for beginners"
Please take the advice written by others already (like Dragon) read the manual, search this forum, search the net, and read some photo books/magazines.
Advices like X mode with X shutter speed and X focusing mode will dissapoint you. Probably they will work perfect for one jump and total screw for another.
If you have no knowlege of photography at all the best you can do is to rely on the camera's performance and its pre set auto mode. In this case most likely the "Sport Mode".
To learn photography takes awhile (just like anything else) and you should practice on the ground as well to gain more experince.
Good luck for your new toy!
-Laszlo-