markovwgti

Uploading Video to MacBook From PC-1000

Im going into Imovie and i connect my pc-1000 to the computer with a firewire cable... it canot find the camera at all like on my toshiba laptop...theres no way for me to upload videos onto my mac right now....anyone got any ideas or know how to get the camcorder to work on this mac?

Does the iLINK interface on the PC1000 work? have you tried it with other cams?

People dont realize how easy it is to burn out the firewire board on these cams. There are hundreds of people out there that have burned out their iLINK from improper usage. 4 to 6 pin firewire carries an electric charge, a static spark can fry the camera iLINK board, sometimes not right away, but eventually. ALWAYS connect firewire first THEN power the devices on, firewire is NOT hot swappable, even though some may think so.

The 1000 uses a base with the firewire port, not a port built directly into the camera, so perhaps the camera isn't seated all the way... regardless, if the port goes, replace the base/dock

fyi: the IEEE1394 standard specifies that devices are to be hot swappable
http://www.aquezada.com/staff/julian/school/ieee1394/

Mike, that doesn't make your point about shocks or shorts any less relevant.

The 1000 uses a base with the firewire port, not a port built directly into the camera, so perhaps the camera isn't seated all the way... regardless, if the port goes, replace the base/dock

Actually the board is inside the camera. If it's fried, changing the docking station wont help.

fyi: the IEEE1394 standard specifies that devices are to be hot swappable
http://www.aquezada.com/staff/julian/school/ieee1394/

Mike, that doesn't make your point about shocks or shorts any less relevant.

Drew, yes the standard says that. 4 pin firewire doesnt carry a charge but the 6 pin does... up to 30V. If you search the video forums, you'll see the problems people are having after hot swapping...

Sony actually has a warning specifically about the hotswapping of the firewire on their camcorders. I dont recall where i saw it, either in the user manuals or on their website. Their customer service and repair centers mentioned this too.

I have learned the hard way. I have personally went through repairs of the iLINK board on my PC1000. Another friend of mine did too... I mentioned this awhile back on these forums, wanted to reiterate to save someone 350 bucks.