piisfish

Protecting camera for water jumps

I am planning to video/photograph jumps over water, with a high probability to end in the water.

Jumps would be from approx 14kft above lake level

How would you protect the camera and stills from water ? Did you ever do that kind of wet jump ?

my thoughts were :
-saran wrap
-gore-tex "condom"

-will have floatation device, rescue boats and divers
-not planning to do the "hotshot" landing but rather a smooth and slow entry in the water in case ground landing is not possible.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

my thoughts were :
-saran wrap
-gore-tex "condom"

-not planning to do the "hotshot" landing but rather a smooth and slow entry in the water in case ground landing is not possible.

Neither of those ideas will work if the set up is submerged.
EWA makes protective bags for camera gear search out those
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Andy Farrington did shots over Blue Hole in Belize a few years ago. The landings in the ocean were a sure thing. I believe he removed his helmet after opening and placed it in a "dry sack" with the roll and clip top, much like are used on whitewater rafting trips, and then used an oversized carabiner or something similar to hang it off his harness.

He also landed close enough to the recovery boat that he ended up tossing it on board thus keeping it dry.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I read squeaks response and was like wtf (sorry squeak)... then realized what he meant. Cases like this "cheap" one

http://b2b.sony.com/Solutions/product/SPK-HCC

have a hole for a bolt. If you have a flat top pro, or similar, you can probably get away with drilling a hole and bolting it from below.

Mind you can not mount a wide angle lens in one of those and its a lot bigger that what you are probably used to jumping.

I like the wet bag solution myself.

-Trunk
HYPOXIC

were it me..I'd plan on usin the EWA (pronounced "eh-va") bag, putting the cam in there after deployment. Ewa does have a more costly back with a tripod coupler, but I wouldn't want to jump it.
With the Ewa, you could easily manage it after you landed, and then film approaches. Just plan on dumping a little high so you can get it into the bag and attached to the lens. You'll be able to film your approach and the approach of others once you've done that.