philip2005

Who wants one of these?

Although Red One isn't trouble free (like any camera), most issues are because of user error. Video users who complain of lack of auto-focus on a cinema camera and such... :$

The trouble with skydiving; If you stink at it and continue to jump, you'll die. If you're good at it and continue to jump, you'll see a lot of friends die...

Although Red One isn't trouble free (like any camera), most issues are because of user error. Video users who complain of lack of auto-focus on a cinema camera and such... :$

If you call a camera that requires a crew of at LEAST two right now to be "less than trouble free," you're right on the money. RED sucks, plain and simple. Not only are we not using our 20K boat anchor, top cats like Jodi Eldred have publically said "I'll never use RED in it's current state on any paying project."
Scarlet looks to be a different story, it looked sweet at NAB, but then again, so did RED One 3 years ago.
MB38 has the best inside track on RED, but until it ships, I'm not gambling another dime on this manufacturer.

Having a crew of at least 2, is also needed on an Arri
The trouble with skydiving; If you stink at it and continue to jump, you'll die. If you're good at it and continue to jump, you'll see a lot of friends die...

Having a crew of at least 2, is also needed on an Arri

Why? I've shot a fair amount with Arri, don't need a crew. I can manage it on my own. I don't believe Greg Gasson carries a crew with his 235.
The RED One is a PITA, pain and simple. Google around, you won't find many owners happy with their camera. Battery probs, audio probs, viewfinder issues, mount issues...They'll all be worked out, but it's vapor-ware that turned into "speculation-ware" that turned into "o shit, we gotta ship this now and we'll update later-ware." StudioMagazine has a great blog on the "Great Red Hype."