wojoe

Mounting Lenses Backwards?!?!?!?

So I was on Ebay looking for conversion rings to mount a wide angle lens on my camcorder and I came across adapters to mounts cameras lenses on bodies backwards.:S
Has anyone her ever heard of this or know the reasoning behind it? I am genuinely curious as to why you would do that.

thanks!!

For a still camera I assume? Probably for "reverse lens macro." You can turn a lens around and get extreme closeup pictures...

I took the attached pictures by hand holding the canon kit lens backwards against my 400d... First one is a dollar bill, second one is a PA quarter. The depth of field doing it that way is REALLY narrow. By the way, neither of them are cropped at all. At 100% zoom, even done in such a sloppy way with a cheap lens, you can see amazing detail in the little area that's in focus.

Dave

LenBaby is about the coolest thing there is for controlling the Depth of field off center in your photos. It is well worth the money if you are into that type of thing. I would love one in my camera bag.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

It is really hard to control the Depth of Field even when looking through the view finder let alone trying to guess for a helmet cam shot. ;) Have it aimed 2-3 inches off and the persons face will be blurry but their sholder would be in focus.

Lenbabies are great for studio or ground work but I can't see useing them ever in freefall, they are not made to take that abuse.

Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I took the attached pictures by hand holding the canon kit lens backwards against my 400d...

doesn't give you a "lens missing error" of any sort ?

that's cool, gonna try it
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

doesn't give you a "lens missing error" of any sort ?

Nope. Camera just won't know the aperture (which will be set wide open). You can still zoom and manually adjust focus. I'd imagine it would be a lot easier with one of the adapters to mount the lens instead of just holding it. There are instructions online to make one out of a cheap filter and the camera's dust cover thing that you install when there's no lens on the camera.

Dave