arai

sony cx-7 discontinued

went in to my local sony store today and the salesman told me that they didnt have any in stock, and that they wouldnt be getting any in stock as the model has been discontinued. I havent heard of a successor to the cx-7 be announced yet so I'm curious about being discontined after not even a year in production. anyone heard about the possible replacements?

might be talking about the less sexy PC-7; Sony would not discontinue the CX-7 before naming and marketing a viable successor. The CX-7 is the sole flash-only cam in sony's line right now. And it's still for sale on sonystyle.com for $1100. I got a new one off ebay for $700. http://www.kamera-lehti.fi/kamera-lehti_4_97/videot/sony_dcr-pc7.gif

My understanding is that a lot of manufacturers only make a camera for around 6 months or so. But dealers might have them in stock for a lot longer than that

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

he was convinced It was the cx-7, I asked him, "are you sure its this camera, its only been out a year, there hasnt been a replacement named, this camera, memory stick only... blah blah" and he said yep, that floor model is the last one. after that no more. I have a feeling he is just incompetent, but thought I'd check here to see if anyone else had heard anything

He's wrong.
There is a schedule for the cameras. Perhaps as a retailer, his buyer opted to not purchase more, but the CX7 is FAR from being discontinued. Costco just took delivery of 8,000 of them nationwide, and I'm told that seriously depleted warehouse stocks...dunno if that's so, but they're not discontinued

Here in Sydney you will have trouble finding one In a store as %90 wont stock them for some reason but you can get them ordered. But that also means %90 of retailers dont know anything about them.
I got told a few times by Sales assistants that they went making them any more... Just Lazy!!!!! [:/]

Probably just wanted you to get that "last one" that just happens to be in there shop:ph34r:

.....And you thought Kiwis couldn't fly!!!!

In the case of Oz, I can speak to that...
They are re-bundling the cameras. You'll see an AVCHD tour featuring New Magic Australia and Sony Electronics kicked off in Melbourne last week, then Brisbane, Sydney, Perth, Adelaide. Hobart, Launceston.
you should see CX7's back on the shelves shortly as a result.
Damn, I sound like a Sony rep, huh??