Ronaldo

Tough decision

If you could buy a used 20d (very good condition) for the price of a new 400d, which one would you choose? Both are camera bodies only.
Engineering Law #5: The most vital dimension on any plan drawing stands the most chance of being omitted

If you plan on jumping it? I always said it i were the one who bought it i would have gotten a digital rebel. I have a 20d and it is considerably heavier, i believe my neck has paid the price too.B|

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

yes, its for jumping. I was considering the weight issue too. I'm a big fan of smaller and lighter set ups.
I did a search through the old posts and was with the impression that the 20d was superior to the 300/350d (and maybe 400d?).
1 vote for the 400d - lighter and smaller
Thanks!
Engineering Law #5: The most vital dimension on any plan drawing stands the most chance of being omitted

Despite of the plastic body, the small size, and the "less professional" look of the 400D is just as capable as the 20D. Plus it gives you 2 more MP resolution too. Even the 350D is just as good as the 20D except some auto features. The 350D can take exactly the same qualty image as the 20D, matter the fact is the 350 has a newer improved image sensor compare to the 20D.
...and the 400D came after them even with more improvements. IMO there's no question my choice would be the 400D, even if you want use it for other than skydiving.
-Laszlo-

my choice would be the 400D, even if you want use it for other than skydiving.
-Laszlo-

Ditto. Glad to see somebody else say this.

To the others who disagree with this, what is a specific example of something a 20D can do (on the ground) that a 400D can't do?
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

The 20D body is bigger, more solidly constructed, heavier and more weatherproof, al in all a very pleasant camera to use on the ground, especially when mounting heavier lenses and/or when you can use a bit of weatherproofing. You can feel it's a more pro-type body than the digi rebels, personally I really like that, but for the other specs it doesn't matter much, so if you need a lightweight camera for just jumping (or maybe backpacking or something) I'd go with a digi rebel too. But I shoot so much ground stuff, I'd want a 5D too :P

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I've had a couple of mishaps over the years with my 20D and it has survived. I dropped my helmet onto concrete, flash shoe first, from 4 feet and it was fine. I also took a tumble and broke my 15mm in half, the 20D was fine.

For lightness I agree the XT's are an advantage. If you're an occasional klutz like me...

I'm not sure what "pro type body" means, but I prefer a small camera since it is easier to transport nearly anywhere. And true professional photographers aren't using 20D's OR 400D's.

As far as being a klutz... I've carried my 350D through the mountains, in front of giant misty waterfalls, and many other crazy places, never dropped it or damaged it environmentally in any other way.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I admire your lack of Klutziness! To clarify; my main point was if you do drop a 20D I think it's more likely to survive. If lightness outweighs robustness in your mind then the 20D may not be your best choice.

Just adding my thoughts to help Ronaldo make the best decision.