texmex

Still Camera

My DZ went all digital this year. Only 2 of our guys didn't have a digital camera.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I know this is atypical, but my home DZ is still film only for tandems. It is the only thing I still use a film camera for at all, but for the most part I love it. I hand the customer the exposed roll of film on the field before I even head in to edit, and I am done with that portion of the job. No downloading, burning, whatever. It is unfortunate that I don't get to see the majority of my tandem stills, but it is a trade-off I am fine with. Plus, my film camera/lens combo is much lighter than my digital set-up. FWIW, we have never had a single customer complain about getting a roll of film instead of a CD-ROM.

When we do go digital (next year?), I sure hope we increase the price, as the costs in time and equipment for the camera flyers will go up significantly.

we have never had a single customer complain about getting a roll of film instead of a CD-ROM.

we have. Girl and guy go up on same load, two shooters. One gets film, the other gets a CD. one gets 24 exposures, the other gets 40-50. One can browse, print, share right away, the other gets the pleasure of waiting, possible screw up by 1 hour photo, no browsing, has to scan to share, can't print their own.
Film is easier, but if you have two people that can compare experiences...

1 hour photo, no browsing, has to scan to share, can't print their own.

Most 1 hour photo places around here offer a CD of your 35mm prints for a small extra fee.

As to the mix of 35mm and digital at the same DZ....perhaps it should be 100% of one and none of the other to help avoid the negative reaction from the wuffo's. If ALL can't go digital, nobody does. Or...the non-digital don't jump until they upgrade. Might be a bit harsh, but that's they way we did it at Perris...for this very reason.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

1 hour photo, no browsing, has to scan to share, can't print their own.

Most 1 hour photo places around here offer a CD of your 35mm prints for a small extra fee.

As to the mix of 35mm and digital at the same DZ....perhaps it should be 100% of one and none of the other to help avoid the negative reaction from the wuffo's. If ALL can't go digital, nobody does. Or...the non-digital don't jump until they upgrade. Might be a bit harsh, but that's they way we did it at Perris...for this very reason.

ltdiver

Same reason our DZ did it. Everyone is digital except for a couple of guys. No digital, no still jumps.
IMO, if it's just one person, there is nothing wrong w/film, but when you get two together...it's a problem.
Is Perris all digital?

...perhaps it should be 100% of one and none of the other...

I completely agree. We do offer a very consistent product from one cameraman to the next for specifically the reasons stated. You definitely invite problems if the different subcontractors offer different products. Although we do occasionally get requests for specific Instructors or camera flyers, we have a standard package of stills and tandem video we offer (including the general direction of the edited video) so everyone leaves happy with their experience at the DZ. In the end, it is about what the dropzone wants to offer, not the individual sub-contractor.

And yes, every photo processor I see has an option to get the images on CD-ROM. Those that want to share, print or use their photos as a screen image usually go this route. Others are happy to just have a stack of 4x6s to bring to their office/home/party.

we have never had a single customer complain about getting a roll of film instead of a CD-ROM.

we have. Girl and guy go up on same load, two shooters. One gets film, the other gets a CD. one gets 24 exposures, the other gets 40-50. One can browse, print, share right away, the other gets the pleasure of waiting, possible screw up by 1 hour photo, no browsing, has to scan to share, can't print their own.
Film is easier, but if you have two people that can compare experiences...

We have exactly the same problem. Only 2 jumpers with no digital left, of which one does the bulk of the tandem vids [:/] I've had family of tandem passengers come up to me demanding to know why we don't have digital yet, ehm, "this IS digital" , but last time they got film, and of course the couples and groups can be suprised at best and annoyed at worst [:/]

ciel bleu,
Saskia