skydog.paul

2K Composites new fusion

Wish they'd just make that top plate wider. Why not just go the full width of the helmet? This looks cool, but a still camera mounted on top is still going to have a gap under the sides. Kinda defeats the purpose of a flush-mounted quick release. Other than that, looks pretty cool. I wonder if they'll design the removable boxes too...

Dave

I wonder if they'll design the removable boxes too...

Given that the only other choice for the sidemount is a TonyFly box, I would imagine that 2KC is making their own box that has the other end of the Zkulls mount.

Anyone know how much this helmet is gonna run? Or when it'll be available?

Hi
I have fitted the ZKulls mount on the side and on the top of the following makes of helmets

Rawa
TonFly
2Kcomposites FF2 top mount only obviously.

They are straight forward to fit so long as you take your time and think before you cut as you do have to cut a big hole.

Best way to fit is as follows.

1. Remove as mush helmet lining as possible to save it getting dirty.
2.place masking tape on the area you are going to fit the mount. Draw round it with a pencil and then mark the centre of the circle.
3. drill a small 2mm pilot hole for the centre.
4. Check your mesurements again to make sure you are happy with where you are going to cut the hole.
5. Using a 50mm hole cutter (commonly called a tank cutter) cut out the 50mm hole. Take it slowly and let the hole cutter do its job and dont force it.
6. where the locking pin comes out of the back of the mount mark and cut out a slot 20mm long by 8mm wide and cut it out.
7. You will now need to file out the 50mm hole slightly to drop the top mount into place. Make sure it is a good snug fit.
8. with a 3mm drill drill out the 8 screw holes
9. Screw the back plate on.

Finish

Take your time and you will get a realy nice install, should take you about 45mins to 1 hour to fit.

I have done quite a few now and got it down to 20 mins.

Remember measure twice and cut once.

Hope this helps

Your alternative is to buy a helmet with the mounting system already fitted. Tonfly already have it but the one to look out for is the one from 2KComposites.

I have seen it, looks great and is really comfortable.

Regards

Gary

Hi Dave
The reason for the quick release plate is to allow you to fit and remove camera equipment quickly and securely without the aid of any tools.
It was designed to allow the mounting of any equipment, have a look at the mounting holes on the removable plate.
Top mount is for stills or video, due to the shape of a lot of the newer sony cameras it is safer to top mount the video camera, in answer to your next question of where do you mount the stills camera ??? i would look at using an FF2 Kryten and mount the camera on the front mount or making a stills mount for your stills camera.

I used to use a flat top pro which is a heavy and expensive helmet, it does the job well but not everyone jumps that much to justify it. Basically you don sell many of them which means the retail cost is quite expensive.

Any side mounted camera is subject to line snag unless it is fully enclosed, i.e. FF2, FF3, FFX

I have mounted a lot of these mounts now and they are also used outside skydiving.

I hope this helps and it is better than some of the things you see leaving the plane on people heads !!!

Regards

Gary

you can mount any box you like to the Zkulls mount, the centre section of the mount is fixed to whatever box you wish to use with 4 small mountings. You just have to make sure that the section of the box you are going to mount the Zkulls centre section onto is flat.

The new helmet from 2kcomposites is out soon and yes i do know the price, i am sorry but i cant tell you yet but i can say it is very very competative with Tonfly who are the only other company to incorporate the Skulls mounting system.

It will be avaialble very shortly.... in fact i am off to Empuriabrava for easter boogie to test some new camera kit i am working on and i am expecting some news by then.

Yep i use Zkulls, yes i assist Zkulls and 2Kcomposites but i am not involved with these companies for any gain except to see some good products on the market.

Hope this helps

Gary

I have an FF2 with a still camera mounted on top (with a quick release).

I really like the idea of the a flush-mounted quick release. That way, a line can't get under the camera because it sits flat against the helmet. My camera sits a quarter inch (or whatever) above the top of my helmet, and the sides of the camera overhang the raised flat top surface. I'd just like to see an FF2 type helmet with a wider flat top, so the sides of the camera aren't exposed as a snag point.

Good to know that the zkulls release can fit on an FF2 though... I might want to make that upgrade in the future.

Dave