aerialcameraman

Imac and PC proccesers

Tell me if i'm wrong or right. With the new intel in the apple imac you can use imovie on the new pc's with the new intel core duo proccesers.

The latest version of iMovie (2008) only runs on Intel Macs. Older versions are available for PowerPC G4 and G5 Macs. All versions of iMovie require OS X.

I am stuck between a the new mac desktop platforms with the two quad cores, and a laptop.

The desktop will be the most bang for the buck I think, but I don't know if I want to lock myself into one editing location only.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

I do most of my editing during the week anyways . I only edit at the dz if i am staying in my rv most of the week ,then i have enough time for editing .I use an imac though . I have been thinking of doing the power mac thing with a 30 in monitor.

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

I have the Mac Pro dual core 2 duo 2.66 with 4x250 GB drives and 12 GB of RAM and the machine is unbelievable with everything that it does. (FCE/Aperture, etc.). Also 2 screens, one dell 20" and 1 23" Apple cinema.

Other world computing sells Apple cert. RAM for totally reasonable prices, so it's affordable to go really big.

I also have a Macbook Pro and it kinda sucks to do editing on it. there's just not enough power... (My wife has the Macbook and its the same... she has 4 gb of memory)

I have the Mac Pro dual core 2 duo 2.66 with 4x250 GB drives and 12 GB of RAM and the machine is unbelievable with everything that it does. (FCE/Aperture, etc.). Also 2 screens, one dell 20" and 1 23" Apple cinema.

Other world computing sells Apple cert. RAM for totally reasonable prices, so it's affordable to go really big.

I also have a Macbook Pro and it kinda sucks to do editing on it. there's just not enough power... (My wife has the Macbook and its the same... she has 4 gb of memory)

It's posts like this that I REALLY hate.. :P

Now I'm shopping for a Mac Pro... ( I do my editting on a Powerbook G4 right now)

I have all three (PC, MacBook Pro, Dual Quad desktop).
I agree, the Apple side of the MacBook Pro isn't up to snuff for serious editing speed, but it's not the 'puter, it's the software. Opening native HDV and MXF files on the Bootcamp side, I get rock-solid preview speeds, and great editing experience. AIC and ProRes just ain't what they could be. Cineform is a better, albeit more costly alternative, and offers tremendous performance gains, not to mention easy sharing between PC and Apple side media.